Work shop building cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
I agree with Pacific493. I priced insulation for my shop which is almost exactly what you are looking at except for 10' side walls and a 15 1/2 ft high peak cathedral ceiling (got tired of banging boards on the roof) and found that I could have it installed for less than I would have paid at Lowes just for the materials.

I found a really good deal on a heat and air unit like they have in the Holiday Inns and it keeps the place comfortable year round.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Thanks for all of the replies! I have a few more questions now. What kind of cost should I expect to have a 100 amp panel put in the shop and ran to my house about 30ft away? I can do all of the other wiring myself.

Marcus, if you're not really comfortable running the service,then by all means hire an electrician or find a fellow WWer nearby who has the comfort level. The "parts" for my 100 amp extension of nearly 100 feet ran $357, renting the trencher was another $90. I went to the local "professional" electric supply and the counter guy set me up with everything I needed to do a code-correct job, including panel, breakers, wire, conduit, aluminum wire jelly, grounding rod, etc. Took about two hours, most of which was trenching.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
It is called a PTAC unit. Just about all of the large air-conditioner companies make them and with a little luck you can find a used or refurbished one. I managed to find one on ebay that someone ordered in error and was too big for their needs (just about right for mine). The only problem is keeping it clean but I just use compressed air and blow it out once a month or so and it seems to be doing just fine (had to turn it down yesterday because the shop got too warm.)

CaptainCowie

New User
Marcus
Thanks for all the replies so far they have been a great help! I was thinking about how it can rain inside of metal buildings if they are not insulated is the same true for a stick built building as well? Will it rain inside if it is not heated and cooled? Thanks!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thanks for all the replies so far they have been a great help! I was thinking about how it can rain inside of metal buildings if they are not insulated is the same true for a stick built building as well? Will it rain inside if it is not heated and cooled? Thanks!

Marcus,

My building is pole barn style(wood): no insulation, no heat, no moisture.
I read somewhere that wood buildings cause have less moisture inside because they seem to absorb some of the moisture. My shop in NJ was wood frame, but I had a sheetrock interior and it held moisture inside which eventually caused mold. Let's see how others weigh in on this subject.

Jimmy:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
My shop is pretty tight stick built and I have no mold. I keep the heat at a minimum of 45 in the winter though so nothing will freeze.

The PTAC units mentioned are actually pretty nice. For what it was going to cost for a new one I was able to get a full heat pump installed for the same price.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
My brother recently built a really nice, large workshop (40 x 78). We did the electrical work ourselves, and he did the painting, trim installation, plumbing, etc work himself.

The shop is fully insulated, drywall installed, painted, etc.

The cost worked out to be around $25.00 per square foot.

Hope this helps...

Scott

CaptainCowie

New User
Marcus
My brother recently built a really nice, large workshop (40 x 78). We did the electrical work ourselves, and he did the painting, trim installation, plumbing, etc work himself.

Hope this helps...

Scott

That seems like a very good price! I just might be able to make this work after all.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

Hope this helps...

Scott

That sounds like a good price Scott, I built my NJ shop in 1998 for around 12k, it was 36x18 with a full second floor (uninsulated or heated). But the first floor was 2x6 construction, insulated , heated, a/c, air lines, dust collection lines, water (no waste), and t-111 siding. This works out to $18.5/sqft., But those were '98 prices 4x12x1/2" sheetrock was only $5.50 a board:eusa_danc, and everything else was cheaper also. So I guess now $25/sqft is about right.

All of the work was done by myself and my wife, with friends helping :eusa_clapframe and some sheathing. I also paid to have the concrete/ leveling done (about $2,500:eusa_danc (included in 12k cost)).

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I can do a good bit myself. I could do all of it but the concrete and the main power line coming into the panel. But I would rather not do the siding and garage doors.

Marcus,
I did all of the work other than the concrete on mine, and I do understand what you are saying. If I was to do it all over again, I would definitely get pricse on somethings before deciding to do them myself. Insulators, drywallers, roofers,and siders might be able to do the work for not much over your materials cost, so I would price them out first.

As far as overhead garage doors ( mine were barn style instead), I'd also probably price around, you could spend a whole day just making adjustments if you've never done them yourself.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Hope this helps...

Scott

That is cheap, dirt cheap. My shop unfinished, no paint, just a shell was $28 a square foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS