Work shop building cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCowie

New User
Marcus
I am wanting to move out of my garage and into a shop. I am thinking about either a 24' x 24' or a 24' x 30 depending on permits and cost. I have a very level lot but I will need the basic grading. It will need to have two garage doors on the front of it so it could be used as a garage if I sale the house. My question is just how much would I be looking at for the building with a shingle roof, vinyl siding and garage doors? I don't want any windows so that should help with the cost. Thanks for any help.

alleng

New User
allen
to what degree will the inside be finished? will the walls have exposed studs? and what about the celing? i have drywall on the celing,painted white,and osb on the walls.i like the osb because if i put up a shelf,and decide to move it you cant tell where it was. it is also cheaper cause you dont have to tape,mud sand and paint. i would recomend at the least putting up a celing,as this would keep the roof heat out in summer,and some heat in in winter

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm going through the thought process my self. There is not simple answer I have found. I have done a little homework but I have more to do. The biggest factor and cost is labor. You have to decide how much if anything you are going to do yourself. Then comes design. Standard blue prints or custom drawn, Pouring a concrete floor or dirt floor, 2x4 or 2x6 walls, manufactured trusses or make your own, etc. Then comes materials. 20 yr singles or 40 yr shingles, wood doors or steel doors etc. Of course some of the design and materials will be governed by your local buidling codes.

I will be glad to share what I learn.

Good Luck.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I am moving in a few months and will be doing the same thing. I have spent a fair amount of time getting numbers together. My estimate for a 2 car, 1 1/2 story garage (24X24), after electrical, HVAC, dust collection, etc is $30 -35k. There are ways to save money by doing some things yourself. It is definitely cheaper to get a garage built by a company that specializes in this type of construction than going with a building contractor.

Some thoughts on windows and garage doors. Windows don't add much to the cost of construction and natural light is worth a lot. I plan to build the space for garage doors but not actually put in doors. Garage doors are hard to insulate and the tracks take up ceiling space. I will put a double door in one space and fill in the other. If (when) I sell the house it will be easy to take it all down and put in garage doors.

Good luck with your project.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
There are builders out there such as Carolina Custom builders that will build your shop soup to nuts for around 20k. Below is a link to give you an idea. I'm sure that there is some body in your area. Just check the web or local papers.

Jimmy:)

http://carolinacustombuilders.com/

WNC_Dave

New User
David
There is an article in the Fine WoodWorking Mag either this month or last on this very topic. The author talks about planning and what he went throught to get his 2 car garage from start to finish.

May want to take a look and see. I am not sure where he built the shop so cost might be a little different from that location to yours but gives you some ideas and generic costs.

Dave

TXnNC

New User
Ken
I am currently going through my shop build. The plan is to go with a 24x32 shop on a 4" slab. As a matter of fact, the concrete guys are supposed to be here in about 2 hours to pour the mud. I did a lot of the prep work myself to save money (build forms, major leveling, dug 12" footers, put in rebar, etc.) and they did some minor leveling, will pour, machine float, hand float, and cut expansion joints. I spent $100 on rebar and the concrete will run me another $2300. For the shop itself I am going with one of the kits from BDC. The price varies slightly from week to week, but it will run right at $4000for the one story, vinyl sided kit. I am looking at another $500 - $750 for electrical. So, total I am thinking it will run right around $7000. Not a bad deal IMO since it will increase the resale value on the house at least that much when I move. I will try to take pictures as we go if anyone wants to see them. Good luck!

Ken

WNC_Dave

New User
David
definetly start a build up thread here in the shops forum and post alot of pics. We all like to see what everyone is up to. Also post up your questions and you will get lots of advice. I am in the middle of insulating my shop and the guys here saved me from having to rewire later by recommending a bigger panel. Easy swap now since the walls where still open.

You may want to head over the Who We are forum and poost up a Hi thread with some info and introduce yourself to the good group of Wood Workers you have found.

Dave

Glennbear

Glenn
I am in the process of completing a 24x24 garage/shop which was erected by Classic Manor Builders who sells through Home Depot. It was a bit of a hassle because subcontracting erection crew was working out of their normal area and the local HD did not have a lot of material in stock. I am sure that a HD with greater sales volume would not have this problem. The building has window on each of 3 walls, 16' overhead door, standard entrance door. I can offer the following costs :

Basic building - About $12K with optional headers over doors and windows required by local code.

Floor slab/footings - Provided by me using local concrete contractor $2800.
In addition to the basic building cost I have also purchased wall and ceiling insulation, OSB for the walls, sheetrock on the ceiling, wiring, plumbing for utility sink, lights, receptacles, subpanel, wiring from main panel in the house etc.

By shopping around, watching for sales and rebates on materials I have saved wherever possible. If anyone needs more info or construction pics let me know. At this point I have ceiling done and I am insulating the overhead door with styrofoam panels. Next step will be to frame out a closet for DC, sink and air compressor. OSB on the walls, receptacle and light installation should about finish things up other than wall paint. My post under "Who we are" has a pic of the shop just before the garage door was installed.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
There is an article in the Fine WoodWorking Mag either this month or last on this very topic. The author talks about planning and what he went throught to get his 2 car garage from start to finish.

May want to take a look and see. I am not sure where he built the shop so cost might be a little different from that location to yours but gives you some ideas and generic costs.

Dave

I read that article and think that he paid a fairly high price overall. A shop is definitely much cheaper to build yourself, if you are capable and have some help. I built a 18'x36' two story building in NJ, the only thing that was contracted out was the concrete. I think that the most important thing is planning. I can't emphasize this enough. Everything done early, will affect whatever you do down the line. Remember too add the below items in:

-insulation
-wiring
-lighting (natural, manmade, general, specific)
-ceiling height
-heating
-a/c
-dust collection
-compressed air
-plumbing

Good luck, I'm sure others will add things that I forgot.

Last edited:

WNC_Dave

New User
David
Jim
I agree that it can be done cheeper, but it is good to see what he paid since he let crews do most of the work and not all of us have the ability to raise a building ourself. The previous owner of my house put in the garage that I am in and paid about $60,000 to have it built. His cost where quite high because he had to grade the lot to level out the area and my slab is still over 4 ft tall at the back of the building.

Dave

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jim
I agree that it can be done cheeper, but it is good to see what he paid since he let crews do most of the work and not all of us have the ability to raise a building ourself. The previous owner of my house put in the garage that I am in and paid about $60,000 to have it built. His cost where quite high because he had to grade the lot to level out the area and my slab is still over 4 ft tall at the back of the building.

Dave

Dave,
I agree that grading/concrete work on a slab can cost alot more. But some of his prices are ridiculous(some even low). I don't know about you, but I would like to hire the guys that did his sheetrock and insulation work:lol:. The prices that he qoutes won't even allow you to buy raw material from the BORGS:eusa_thin.

ps. Other than the costs, the article is good , as is the Tools and Shops
Issue.

WNC_Dave

New User
David
Yea i wished $650 was all it cost me for insulation. I think I have spent about $800 so far and still need a little bit more. I kind of wished I had gotten a quote on doing it before I started the project to see what a crew would have charged me to do the job.

It was a pretty good issue though.

Dave

rarmor06

New User
Rick
Marcus... I just finished building a workshop that is 24x20. I have heat and a/c as well as separate power with 100 amp service. The bldg has 6 windows and a garage door and steel man door. The cost was approx 18K for the entire bldg less the dust collection. I would be glad to show you the place if you can get to wake

Whatever you do get it insulated and lots of power outlets. I had them put an outlet in the concrete floor for me for the table saw

pacific493

New User
Brian
Yea i wished $650 was all it cost me for insulation. I think I have spent about $800 so far and still need a little bit more. I kind of wished I had gotten a quote on doing it before I started the project to see what a crew would have charged me to do the job.

It was a pretty good issue though.

Dave

I am finishing out my garage and was shocked at how reasonable it was to have a professional come out to install insulation. I had estimated the cost of the insulation alone at around $500 from HD. The installer I talked to wanted $500 for the whole job including materials!

CaptainCowie

New User
Marcus
Thanks for all of the replies! I have a few more questions now. What kind of cost should I expect to have a 100 amp panel put in the shop and ran to my house about 30ft away? I can do all of the other wiring myself. Where is a good place around Winston Salem to buy building materials? Also, does anyone have a concrete place they would recommend around my area? what should I expect to pay for slab, footings, and minor grading for a 24'x24' shop?

To save cost I will only use the building for my car storage for now and stay in my current garage until I have more money to finish the shop. So I just need the basics; four walls, two garage doors, one walk in door, and a roof. The reason I don't want windows is to maximize wall space and to keep prying eyes out. I have had some issues with things missing around the house so I'm a little worried about theft. Anyway, thanks for all the help so far everyone!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For the shop itself I am going with one of the kits from BDC. The price varies slightly from week to week, but it will run right at $4000for the one story, vinyl sided kit.
Ken

Ken, If you haven't already, you may want to see what the cost increase will be for upgrading to #2 grade lumber for framing. BDC kit prices are based on #3 which is garbage. They usually have the price for the upgrade already figured up and is available from the desk. (This info from the guy at the local BDC whom I talked to on this same subject not long ago.)
The kits are designed to include minimum amount of lumber needed. However, with #3 lumber, you can expect a 40% loss due to unuseable pieces (split, open knot holes, edge lumber, not to mention severe warp , twist and bow).
Just a thought if you haven't looked into it.

Go

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Dave,
I agree that grading/concrete work on a slab can cost alot more. But some of his prices are ridiculous(some even low). I don't know about you, but I would like to hire the guys that did his sheetrock and insulation work:lol:. The prices that he qoutes won't even allow you to buy raw material from the BORGS:eusa_thin.

ps. Other than the costs, the article is good , as is the Tools and Shops
Issue.

I'm with you on the prices he got. Didn't seem right.

For me, I was able to get a 24x32 shop built including grading, all of the electrical, running hot and cold water (no toilet), central HVAC, walls and ceiling insulated sheetrocked and taped, painted, and everything for right around $30K 5 years ago. I had Carolina Custom Garages do the structure, and I did everything else myself with the exception of the heat pump that I got a guy I know to do for a very good price. Although Carolina Custom Garages price was good, workmanship was ok. I had to fix a few things they did, but overall, it was pretty good. I did find a couple of other reputable contractors for about the same price as CCG, but thought I was getting a better deal with CCG. That ended up not being the case when you took into account how they charged for extras/changes. I don't think I got ripped off, I just don't think I got the full picture up front.

100 AMP electrical run to the building from 30 ft, I would guesstimate $1000.

TXnNC

New User
Ken
Go,

Thanks for the advice! I was pretty certain that the kits used a bare minimum of material, but I didn't think about them using #3 to save money. Rest assured that I will be calling them today to find out what the cost would be to upgrade. I have been meaning to call them anyway to find out how much it would cost to add a row or two of block.

Ken

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I mieant to respond to this thread sooner, oops.
24 x 30 garage/shop pricing is 15,000 - 20k.
Recommendations are to go with 2x6 exterior walls.
Really put the thinking cap on when thinking of electrical and plumbing, if any of it needs to be run in a concrete pad.
Also I recommend having the pad finished to a smooth surface.
A utility sink is always a good idea whether it be for a garage or shop.
Storage and access to attic space also should be addressed, prior to trusses being ordered.
a 200 amp breaker box for a large shop would be good. You could go a bit smaller.
Siding is always a question, but allot has to due with how the main house is sided. My personal preference other than brick is any of the HARDI products.
Turn key will run 15-20k, however allot can be saved by the individual performing some of these tasks.
Just some of my thoughts. I have built oh just a few shops/garages, lol.
Just some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS