Woodguy Cabinetmaking Class - Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Sunday morning came early as we started at 8:00 AM to complete the second day of our two-day class and to build our wall cabinets. (See Day 1). Case glue-ups were completed; door rails and stiles cut to size and processed to receive the raised panels; and panel stock joined, planed and glued up before lunch. After sizing panel blanks to fit the door frames, panels were raised on the McDaddy shaper -- one pass per edge using the power feeder produced more chips than all other work all weekend and a complete panel in about a minute! After inserting "space balls" in the stile grooves, the doors were glued up and then passed through the Woodmaster drum sander to get a final smoothing before hinge installation and final assembly. Click on the thumbnails for a full picture.

1) 2)
3) 4)
5) 6)
7) 8)
9) 10)

1) Cabinet casework in glue-up has dried overnight
2) John scribbles as attentive students Dave and Andy strive to read it!
3) McRabbet chats with Andy while awaiting his turn on the Oliver jointer -- Marty joins his rail and stile stock
4) Lunch is next as panels dry in their clamps after glue-up
5) Some one obviously cracked a good line!
6) Larry Mallett cuts his door frame rails and stiles to length
7) John sets up the coping bit with a set-up block on the router table
8) and makes a sample cut to insure correct position
9) Chips fly as the 5HP shaper raises a panel in one pass/side under the power feeder -- a panel raised in one minute!
10) After inserting space balls in the stile grooves to accept wood expansion, doors were glued up and passed through the Woodmaster drum sander at 150 grit to smooth the full door.

A great day and weekend ended with brooms collecting the chips and copious thanks to John for a great class -- two days very well spent and chocked full of great woodworking information. Thanks John! :)

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Rob, It looks like the class was a huge success. Thanks for posting the pix from both days. And thanks to John for hosting another great class.

BTW....the link for thumbnail #3 does not work.

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John
Great pics and post Rob! Really excellent Thanks for taking some great photos. I'm probably going to steal a few for my website for the class shots page. :) I took a few pics, but I think Robs were better. Action photos rule. I love the chips in the air on the shaper run. :)

The guys in the class really hauled some butt. We basically cramed what could be a 3 day course into 2 days. It would have been nice to have a second session so we could have gotten into making and installing drawers, mounting drawer fronts....... There will be a drawer making class on the schedule sometime which will take care of the things we didn't time for.

We did get accomplished what we set out to do. The guys learned a system for making a box of any style. The system they learned can be used for any type of case construction from a wall cabinet, to entertainment center, to even dressers.

Just remember my designated motto for the class. The wood selection can make the project. :) Not that I mentioned that a few times. :lol:

Good job to the guys. They did excellent work and kept pace very well. Gotta love the quick dry time of yellow glue. Maybe well have some completed project photos up soon and a couple new members. :)

Thanks,

John

lbmallett

New User
Larry Mallett
Great class! I highly recommend John's classes. He's very well organized and extremely knowledgeable. And it was a pleasure to meet some really personable and pleasant guys. On the downside, I now have some serious tool and shop envy :cry:

McRabbit - I didn't recognize that fat, old man you identified as Larry Mallett. You sure you didn't get the captions mixed up?

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Looks like fun. However, it is all fun and games until someone loses an eye - I saw chips flying on the shaper and NO SAFETY GLASSES!!!

Come on now, SAFETY should be lesson #1 and the mantra for the weekend. :icon_thum

woodguy1975

New User
John
Matt said:
Looks like fun. However, it is all fun and games until someone loses an eye - I saw chips flying on the shaper and NO SAFETY GLASSES!!!

Come on now, SAFETY should be lesson #1 and the mantra for the weekend. :icon_thum

You're totally right. The guys were wearing theirs. I should have been wearing mine. :) At least I was on the non-chip side.

BTW, I've got to throw a thanks out to Marty for Lunch on Saturday. That was really nice. I can get used to having my lunch paid for. :D :rolf:

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Great class, great fellowship, much was learned in two days. The first hour on Saturday was spent in woodworking shop awe. John packed an extreme amount of cabinet info into us in two days, my brain was overflowing. John no thanks needed for the lunch, it was well deserved. Thank you John and all the other guys for a great two days.

Marty

DeadFox

New User
Andy
Thanks to all of the guys in the class, especially John, for being so patient and helpful. Being a beginner, I was fumbling over words and tools, but with a little help from the more "seasoned" vets, I was able to complete my project AND have fun too! I look forward to my next experience with any of you.

M

McRabbet

Andy,

I enjoyed helping you through a few of those questions -- we all had a good time and all of us learned plenty. You need to open the Forum entitled "Who We Are" and post a new thread to introduce yourself to the rest of the people on the website.

Best of luck,

Rob

woodguy1975

New User
John
DeadFox said:
Thanks to all of the guys in the class, especially John, for being so patient and helpful. Being a beginner, I was fumbling over words and tools, but with a little help from the more "seasoned" vets, I was able to complete my project AND have fun too! I look forward to my next experience with any of you.

LOL, only the guys in the class would know the humor in your user id. Welcome to the site. You ought to intro yourself like Rob says. This is a great place to hang. :)

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS