Wooden Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
My wife has just commissioned me (read that as "told me") to make a wooden cross for my SIL. This will hang on a wall. I need help with dimensions. Anyone have any plans?

nelsone

New User
Ed
There are an awful lot of ways to make a cross with wood. Anything from two boards put together to scrolled crosses to carved crosses and anywhere in between. I don't know of any plans. Do a google search on wooden cross images and see what you like you should be able to take the proportions from the image.

sawduster

New User
Robert
here is what i found

cross_dimension.jpg

View image in gallery

Hope it helps :icon_thum

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Guess I should have been more detailed. I am not a scroller, turner or carver so I thought I would put the cross together with a lap joint and then try for a layered look with a router. Might laminate 3 layers (cherry/maple/cherry) together to get a nice affect after routing an ogee or something on the edges. I really needed perspective and I think Robert helped me with that.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Guess I should have been more detailed. I am not a scroller, turner or carver so I thought I would put the cross together with a lap joint and then try for a layered look with a router. Might laminate 3 layers (cherry/maple/cherry) together to get a nice affect after routing an ogee or something on the edges. I really needed perspective and I think Robert helped me with that.

I made a bunch of these a few years ago for our church and a few church members, both wall and desktop versions. I went very simple. Two pieces of oak (3/4" by 1.5 wide of varying lengths depending on the height) with a lap joint and a routed chamfer all the way around on both sides. For the table top versions I added a 2" square base (also chamfered) with a mortise and tenon joint finished off with a few coats of watco. They were very simple and very well received. I was asked to make a processional version the next year and it's now used every Sunday. In therms of proportion I've found the most important to be a 1:1:1 for the top and arms of the cross. If you're using a lap joint I also found that putting the crossbeam on top looks better thant the other way round.... Just found a pic of one of them....

Last edited:

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I know you said your not a scroller but many scroll patterns will work for what you want you just need to know what kind of cross you want

Thanks Mark

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
For some reason, I don't have a picture of the cross I made for Mom many years ago. Pretty simple, as you said - a couple of pine 1x6 lap jointed at the intersection- used a 3 pound coffee can to lay out scallops around the perimeter - routed with a 1/4 round bit and left a raised edge all around - golden oak stain. Still hangs on the wall to this day.

ck1999

Chris
User
Travis,

Did a 2" base give you enough stability? Did anyone mention the were easy to knock over?

Chris

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Travis,

Did a 2" base give you enough stability? Did anyone mention the were easy to knock over?

Chris

No one mentioned that it was easy to knock over. I've had one sitting on the top shelf of a book case for the last few years. It's out of reach but the kids have knocked everything else off the lower shelves so I guess it's pretty sturdy. Bigger would be better from that standpoint but I thought the smaller base looked better... These are pretty small too, only about 12-13 inches tall, to there's not too much too worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS