Wood slabs and the WONC Gallery - can we count on your help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I am a little confused. I went to the Klingspor Raleigh Website (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/raleigh/) and they are advertising the silent auction as well. They show some slabs that aren't in the gallery on NCWW and we have some pictures that they don't have. For example, they show a really wide African Mahogany slab, a really wide Bubinga slab, and a couple more that I can't tell what they are. Do we know how many slabs are being auctioned? Do we have pictures of all of them?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
They also had a pretty cool "Club Quilt" that was raffled off back in March. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/img/ral_carved_quilt.jpg It is a 4x4 array of carved blocks that are all NC themed. It reminds me a lot of the NCWW chest of drawers. I am not implying that anyone stole any ideas or anything like that, I just thought it was neat. It also shows the idea of a raffle instead of an auction for the NCWW chest of drawers. Maybe an auction would bring in more cash, I don't know.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am a little confused. I went to the Klingspor Raleigh Website (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/raleigh/) and they are advertising the silent auction as well. They show some slabs that aren't in the gallery on NCWW and we have some pictures that they don't have. For example, they show a really wide African Mahogany slab, a really wide Bubinga slab, and a couple more that I can't tell what they are. Do we know how many slabs are being auctioned? Do we have pictures of all of them?
There are 8 slabs all but one listed in this thread - that one will be up tomorrow.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member

Some of the big slabs that are shown on the website sold quite some time ago and are not part of the auction. There are eight slabs left and they will be auctioned off on September 6. The proceeds are coming to NCWW to support our educational outreach program:icon_cheers

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Interesting. That implies that the Raleigh store has made an error in the pictures they are posting for the silent auction. Any reason all the pictures weren't posted at the same time? Is this some kind of drawn out advertising campaign? :)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some of the slabs were sold previously. There are currently 8 slabs remaining to be auctioned off on Sept 6th. Or before at the Buy-it-Now price. All proceeds go to support our Outreach Program. And yes, although we posted all of the slab pictures (which were taken by Kevin (JazzFlute)) to the gallery (guess we actually missed the Bubinga one in the initial upload) we've been posting them in this thread piecemeal to keep interest going.

I've seen these slabs and they are beautiful pieces of wood. Some would make an impressive conference table top, others would make very unique Guitar bodies (dozens of them) and some could become very nice solid tops for any piece of furniture. No glue-ups needed with these.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would assume that money went into the existing WONC funds and that once WONC is totally dissolved that the remaining funds in their account will come to NCWW to support our Outreach Program. The funds from the sales don't come to us directly but as a donation from WONC to NCWW when their dissolution is final.

Phil may have more details as this was started under his watch.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
here is the last of the slabs!
They are all up here on this thread - again,
if that is easier for you to pass around the information, I can forward an e-mail with this information. (Just PM me with your e-mail and I will send it to you)

Please share this with as many people as possible - the best advertising is word of mouth!

Here is Slab #6 (The buy it now price is $650);

Slab-no61.jpg

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I'm surprised Kevin just didn't buy them all, they would look great in that nice shop of his. They are heavy, as Paul, Joe and I can attest to.

prolfe

New User
Paul Rolfe
The slabs and a few items from the WONC gallery are being sold in a silent auction format. After a person registers and receives a bidder number, they can bid on an item by writing their bid on the sheet associated with the item they are interested in buying. This bidding has already started and will close at 3:00 PM on Saturday Sept 6. On each slab there is a "buy it now" price listed. At any time, a person may bypass the auction process and pay that price and take possession of the slab.

Paul

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Paul,
I hope this finds you feeling better?

Can you tell us the current bids on the slabs? (Since Kevin didn't "step-up" and bu them all :rolleyes:)

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is the current bidding:
Ginko/crotch $400
Etimoe 3 $200
Ginko $250
Bubinga $425
Etimoe 1 $200
Etimoe 2 $200
Chamfuta $500
Chamfuta $550

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW!
over $8000 worth of wood for little more than $2500.

I am SURE it will go up, but even so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS