Wood slabs and the WONC Gallery - can we count on your help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are 7 gorgeous slabs in the WONC gallery at the Raleigh Klingspore store that will be auctioned in September.
Between now and then we hope to reach enough people and raise the awareness of this unique opportunity.
NCWW will benefit from the sale of these slabs and potentially some of the other work that is on display in the gallery.

I will post these slabs over the coming days along with the "Buy it now" prices.
This is in an effort to allow as many people as possible to see this and share the information.
If you are part of another group (Lumber Jocks, your regional woodworking club etc.) please share this with them as well.

If you want to see them all now - have a look at the Gallery in "Klingspore Events"

Please share this message and these pictures with anyone you think would be interested in purchasing these pieces, as it will simply benefit what we are trying to do;
Share our passion of woodworking by creating a community based on service and education.

And certainly if you are interested in a specific piece - speak-up now because I believe these will go quickly when people find out about them!

Here is the first piece (The buy it now price is $650);

Slab-no71.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
What about the Chest of Drawers? Is it still sitting in the gallery? Anyone have any thoughts of where/how to auction it?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
What about the Chest of Drawers? Is it still sitting in the gallery? Anyone have any thoughts of where/how to auction it?

The chest is still in the WONC gallery and will be moved in Sept to be displayed at the WIA in Winston-Salem. There are plans in the works to auction it off but there are no firm dates at this time.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Okay, I'll say it~ I have no idea what wonc is. May be a senior moment but right now it eludes me.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Andy great question. This is or was WONC. The organization was a great concept but sadly did not pan out after the organizer died. In the charter he had planned ahead and had included a clause that in the event the origination would close all the remaining assets would be sold and given for woodworking education. Lucky for NCWW the current WONC board picked NCWW to receive the funds.

http://www.woncgallery.org/

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Remember we want to allow as many people as possible to see this and share the information.
If you are part of another group (Lumber Jocks, your regional woodworking club etc.) please share this with them as well.

Here is another Slab (The buy it now price is $1300);

Slab-no12.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Some of these slabs are big enough for a boardroom conference table for your special client. Another great use would be for solid body guitar cases. Some would make 10 to 20 guitars that would be very special.

Understand that some are very heavy and might require special consideration to move intact. Some won't just be loaded into your pickup bed without cutting them in half. But they are indeed very unique and could be had at a real bargain depending on the bidding.

Contact the Raleigh Klingspor Store if you want to bid on any of them or simply tell them you'll meet the 'Buy-it-now" price. Hank will be posting more pictures of the seven available slabs this week, but you can also search for them in the gallery.

Thanks much to Kevin (jazzflute) for taking the professional looking pictures of these incredible pieces of exotic wood.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is another slab

Please grab this and forward so as many people as possible
see this and share the information.

Remember we will benefit from the sale of these slabs for our outreach work. The plan is to close the auction on September 6th at the Klingspore showcase in Raleigh.

Here is another Slab (The buy it now price is $2000);

Slab-no21.jpg

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
The size and species, along with example photos of finished projects using that species, are all in the upper right hand corner of the photo. The human shape shows their size against a 6ft. tall figure.

K

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The size and species, along with example photos of finished projects using that species, are all in the upper right hand corner of the photo. The human shape shows their size against a 6ft. tall figure.

K
I wanted to tell you what a GREAT job you did with those!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Regarding the chest of drawers, it is currently still at WONC at least until the 6th of Spetember. It will be auctioned off at the WIA show. We will likely also entertain online bids somehow, but that has not been finalized. We have a starting bid of $2500 for the chest currently. That will be what we open with at WIA. It will be a silent auction. You get a bidder number and you register your bid with the NCWW ambassador that is present in the booth. Bidding will close at 5PM Saturday. The winner can take possession then or it will be shipped at the winning bidders expense.

We will be making a formal announcement shortly in the Staff Announcement forums. Guess I'm spilling the beans a little early before all of the details have been completely worked out.

Let's get more of the slab pictures posted here. And I'd also like to thank Kevin (jazzflute) for the excellent photography work he did.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another Slab photo. The smallest of the bunch. Hank, I've forgotten what the Buy-it-now price was on this one. Help me out here.
The buy it now price is $800

Slab-no3.jpg

This one is small enough to fit in a pickup truck. If you look closely at the growth rings in this piece you'll realize that it is from less than half of the tree. The pith is somewhere a foot or two to the left of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is another Slab (The buy it now price is $1920);

Slab-no41.jpg

prolfe

New User
Paul Rolfe
Great pictures and presentation of the slabs!!!!

There is another slab that may have been missed but is included in the auction. It is a bubinga board that measures 3" thick, ~14" wide and 10 feet long.

The starting bids on these slabs are only #150 - $250, so someone could get an incredible deal! Bids are being taken now. You must register at the front desk in order to obtain a bidder number and participate. Please keep in mind that the proceeds from this auction are going to ncwoodworker.net to help support the fantastic outreach program.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
And without further ado. The missing Bubinga Slab. Hope you are doing well Paul.

Hank, please chime in here with the Buy it now price.
ADD (The buy it now price is $529)

Slab-no8.jpg

This one has a live edge on the right side in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please share this with as many people as possible - the best advertising is word of mouth!
I can forward an e-mail with this information as well if that is easier for you to pass around the information! (Just PM me with your e-mail and I will send it to you)

Here is another Slab (The buy it now price is $650);

Slab-no51.jpg

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Regarding the chest of drawers, it is currently still at WONC at least until the 6th of Spetember.

I was in there this morning and saw the completed chest of drawers in person for the first time. Pictures don't do it justice.

Good luck with the auction.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was in there this morning and saw the completed chest of drawers in person for the first time. Pictures don't do it justice.

Good luck with the auction.
I agree, I had nothing to do with making it - but WOW what a beautiful piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS