Wood Shotgun Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
We have a new Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump, with an 18.5" and 28" barrel. I'd like to make a nice case for the shotty and barrels.
Google isn't being helpful to find the formed foam liners. Any of you folks made cases for your firearms?
Thanks for any info, tips, etc.
Ken

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
It is on my list of "fill in" projects if I ever get out from under the "gotta do" list.
I was thinking of a simple box with finger jointed or dovetailed corners and frame and panel for the top and bottom. You could fancy it up as much as you wanted. Brass corners and hardware. Shaped foam cutouts etc.....

I am thinking much more utilitarian sort of along the lines of a "transit box". Enfield owners who have the sniper version of that rifle often make them up to hold all the dodads.

Any way, that's my $0.02.

Good luck.

Off to rake leaves.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
if you're looking for something to simply transport or store, then convoluted foam mattress pads from a hospital work well. Convoluted foam can likely be had from other sources as well. I often see that as a liner for gun cases and have used it to good effect for handgun cases.

For specific profiles, 3/4 foam can be profile cut and glued together in layers using a little contact cement to cement the layers together.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Outline the objects on foam from whatever source, and cut them out with an electric carving knife. Just don't let LOYL catch you using her knife!!:gar-Bi

dlrion

New User
Dan
We throw away tons of 2-3 inch foam at my work EVERYDAY! It is the low density stuff, similiar to what you might find in a couch or whatnot. Usually Gray or Black.

I could send some your direction if you wanted to pay for shipping.

Dan

p.s. how do you like the Mossburg? I have a Remington 870, and have been pleased, I avoided the Mossburg because a club I used to shoot at had one that jammed constantly...

I think I may be bias though.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
Bob, the convoluted foam will work, I didn't know the correct name.

Dan, I really like the Mossberg, no problems at all after quite a few rounds. The 2 barrel, 3 choke, 2 stock package is a Davidson Firearms special, with full lifetime repair/replacement. :)

Crow season starts Nov. 15, and a friend has a lot of land, an electronic crow call and a ton of the feathered rats. I'm gonna enjoy payback for all the frustration those sneaky devils have caused me during planting seasons!

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I've built a few poker tables and I've gotten my foam from Your Auto Trim. Very good to deal with and prompt. http://www.yourautotrim.com/ Look under the "Poker Table Materials" link on the left side of his home page. From there, select the High Density 1" Poker Table Rail Foam and browse what he offers.

If you get on his mailing list, he sends out discount codes every now and then.

jimwill48

James
I have 3 Moss. Pumps a .410, 20 and 12ga. And used one for years when I was a cop. I never had a Moss 500 jam. These are not the prettiest shotguns but are built like a tank and like the energizer bunny just keep on going. On a side note if anyone has a good used 18 1/2" 12 ga. barrel they want to get rid of let me know what you want for it.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS