Wood Score!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Well, RARELY do I have a reason to gloat, but I had a minor score over the weekend I thought I would share. We were getting together Saturday to work on a parade float for the kids at the church and had decided on a simple manger scene on the trailer we had procured. One of the guys said he has some "old wood" laying around, so he would throw it on his truck and we could use it if we wanted. Well, what he brought was rough cut white oak his dad had torn out of an old tobacco barn or something probably 25 years ago. Most was legit 1x6 with a few actual 2x6's thrown in as well. Some still had bark on it and it definitely was "rough", but heavy as lead and hard as a rock. We used a good bit of it making the manger, but had several good sized pieces left over, including one 16' 2x6. I called the guy and asked what he was planning to do with it and he told me to take it if I wanted it and that he had some more in his shed I could have as well. He didn't have to tell me twice!

I took all that was left over as well as the scraps and headed home. When I got there, I planed a couple of the scrap pieces to see what it looked like and it was some pretty good looking stuff. A few dark sections on one that I planed, but otherwise was good looking stuff. So, I now have a few good boards to make some small project peces with. I am thinking of a clock or candle holder to give to the friend who gave me the wood.

Anyway, not much of a gloat, but I have to post them when I get them!:gar-Bi

Littlejon

New User
Jon
DANG!:BangHead:

See, when you rarely score a gloat, this is what happens. You get so giddy you forget the rules!:embaresse

I will try to take some pics tonight and get them up, though there really isn't much to see at this point. I brought it into the shop, planed a few scrap pieces to see what it looked like under the "rough" and left it where it was. Life got in the way, but I should ahve at least snapped a few pics before posting!

I do plan to make something for the friend who gave it to me. He is a good guy, who would give you the shirt off his back in a snowstorm, so I figure I at least owe him a clock, candle holder or something from this batch.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I do plan to make something for the friend who gave it to me. He is a good guy, who would give you the shirt off his back in a snowstorm, so I figure I at least owe him a clock, candle holder or something from this batch.

Or at least give him his shirt back! :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS