Wood Owl Auger bits don't fit my hand brace. Is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The Craftsman braces made by Millers Falls usually have a BB stamp on them. I have one just like Steve's pictured. That looks like a Millers Falls Lion chuck, same one my brace has. That is probably the best chuck made by Millers Falls. Take a look at the 769-773 and 870-873 braces for info on that ball bearing chuck.

According to Old Tool Heaven, the Lion chuck was modified ~1925. The "shell of Lion chuck has a rectangular opening with cut away corners to accommodate larger bit shanks."

DTBoss

New User
Dan
The Craftsman braces made by Millers Falls usually have a BB stamp on them. I have one just like Steve's pictured. That looks like a Millers Falls Lion chuck, same one my brace has. That is probably the best chuck made by Millers Falls. Take a look at the 769-773 and 870-873 braces for info on that ball bearing chuck.

According to Old Tool Heaven, the Lion chuck was modified ~1925. The "shell of Lion chuck has a rectangular opening with cut away corners to accommodate larger bit shanks."

You are correct! There is a faint BB stamp after the "Made in the USA". Feels substantial and runs smooth.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Chris does a great job refurbishing antique/vintage tools. I bought a Diston rip saw from him (along with a couple of other tools) a few years ago with a replacement handle that he made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS