Wood Owl Auger bits don't fit my hand brace. Is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Another question from me. I was gifted some much lauded Wood Owl Ultra-Smooth Auger bits for Christmas but was disappointed to find that the 7/16th shank won't fit in my hand brace. Since Mr. Chris Schwarz often talks them up as being perfect for 'monkey-powered' drilling, I'm wondering if perhaps my 10" hand brace might somehow be too small, or is he using a different shank size when not using a corded drill.

On a side note. After putting these in my cordless drill, I'll say a few things didn't impress me like I thought they would. 1. The bit 'stalled' right at the end of the cut after the lead screw penetrated the far end of the hole. 2. The 3/4" bit was undersized. A bit annoying when you're wanting to make dog holes correct in the first go. I'd be curious if anyone else has had these bits but gotten different results.

Thanks,

Dan

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Most hand brace chucks take a square tapered drill shank. Not sure what a 7/16 shank fits. Screw auger bits don’t work well in a drill motor.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Your new set of auger bits have a 7/16" hexagonal (quick change) shank. What brand/model of 10" hand brace do you have and what are the manufacturer's specs for the chuck size and what it will accept. 2 jaws or 3 jaws?

Here's a 3 jaw model, but you'd have to call them to see it your 7/16" shanks will fit it.

https://www.rlarson.com/shop/woodworking/10-brace-three-jaws/

Thank you.
My brace is somewhat of a no-name an antique, so no specs available. It's a two jaw chuck. Thanks for the link. Hopefully I can get me a brace for a bit less than $100, but if no older used ones can take the 7/16 shank, I may have to look into it (or get 1/4' shank bits).

-Dan

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Most hand brace chucks take a square tapered drill shank. Not sure what a 7/16 shank fits. Screw auger bits don’t work well in a drill motor.
Thank you. I'm curious. Why are screw auger bits not recommended for a drill motor?
d

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Thank you. I'm curious. Why are screw auger bits not recommended for a drill motor?
d
I'm curious about this, too. Plumbers and electricians swear by screw auger bits in their work cutting through framing material and cabinet walls. One master plumber told me recently "Be sure you get the screw bit augers, not regular spade bits" for some work I'm doing that requires drilling through ceiling joists.

My brace is somewhat of a no-name an antique, so no specs available. It's a two jaw chuck. Thanks for the link. Hopefully I can get me a brace for a bit less than $100, but if no older used ones can take the 7/16 shank, I may have to look into it (or get 1/4' shank bits).

Two of my 1940s - 1950s era braces chuck up the Wood Owl 7/16ths shank just fine. One is a Pexto 8010D and the other is a Stanley 2101A - they both have "universal two-jaw chucks". However, my little 8" North Bros 2100 won't take the the Wood Owl shank - it has a traditional square shank two-jaw chuck.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Interesting. Rush, can you show us a pic of the two braces which have different chucks; the Wood owl 7/16" fits fine in one but won't fit the other with a traditional square shank two-jaw chuck. Just curious.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Interesting. Rush, can you show us a pic of the two braces which have different chucks; the Wood owl 7/16" fits fine in one but won't fit the other with a traditional square shank two-jaw chuck. Just curious.

Sure, here are some pics. Both of these braces are of the same heritage: North Brothers "Yankee" brand of braces which was acquired by Stanley. The smaller of the two (shown on top) is an 8" early North Brothers Model 2100. The larger 10" is a Stanley 2101A "Bell Systems" brace (because they were made by the boat load by Stanley for Ma Bell's linesmen).

attachment.php

The ratchet assembly is identical but the chucks are different. In the pic below, the 2100 is shown on the right. You can see the alligator style jaws designed for square shank augers. The 2101D is on the left. If you look closely you can see that it has "V" cuts running at 90 degrees to the width of the jaw. This chuck is designed to hold both square shank, hex shank and round shank augers.

attachment.php

This pic shows the chucks unscrewed so you can see the internal jaws. Again, the 2100 brace is on the right and you can see those "alligator" jaws. They'll grip a square shank like nobody's business, but as seen in the next picture, they can't close around a hex shank.

attachment.php

attachment.php

But the universal jaws in the 2101 can close tightly around the hex shank. And the next picture below this shows why...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope these help!
Rush

Attachments

• IMG_20180101_162302054.jpg
    IMG_20180101_162302054.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_20180101_161621206.jpg
    IMG_20180101_161621206.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_20180101_161940720.jpg
    IMG_20180101_161940720.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_20180101_162044162.jpg
    IMG_20180101_162044162.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_20180101_162004944.jpg
    IMG_20180101_162004944.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_20180101_161405422.jpg
    IMG_20180101_161405422.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_20180101_161329839.jpg
    IMG_20180101_161329839.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 450

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Wow. Rush. A thousand thanks for this photo essay on these old braces and what they will and won't fit. Really helpful and explains why my old brace won't work with the bit bits!
Dan

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
You're welcome, Dan. Keep trying out the Wood Owl bit - they are really good if you have the brace to drive them.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Dan, I have quite a few braces from many different manufacturers in my shop. If you would like, you can stop by the shop with your Wood Owl bits and try them out in a few to see what fits.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bit Brace Storage Racks 002.JPG
    Bit Brace Storage Racks 002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 392

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Dan, I have quite a few braces from many different manufacturers in my shop. If you would like, you can stop by the shop with your Wood Owl bits and try them out in a few to see what fits.

Wow! You're not kidding. Thanks for the offer Mark. If I can get some time free this week, I'll give you a shout. Thanks.

Dan

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Chaising my tail sometimes. Here's a separate thread and a statement from Mike Davis in this one...

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=589090#poststop

Screw auger bits don’t work well in a drill motor.

Au contraire! My set from Lee Valley is not specifically designed to be used their hand brace...

Thank you for your e-mail. As it would turn out, these Auger Bits are not specifically designed to be used in a Hand Brace, and are generally used for construction applications (for example, installing electrical or plumbing).

1/2" Chuck Hand Braces can be difficult to find, and we generally do not link to other website through our own, but they can be found on-line. We located one on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Larson-Swing-Brace-Chuck/dp/B000JRFJQO) that, according to a user-review, does accept 1/2" shank drill bits.

Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Maybe the Wood Owl bits aren't designed to be used in a hand brace either?

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Jeff, I don't think their is any doubt that the Wood Owl bits are designed for power tools - just wander around their website a little. They are geared to meet the boring needs of professionals in the trades. But, they do work just fine in a hand brace with an appropriate chuck as do some other brands. Richard Maguire likes "Wood Beaver" brand (whose shape is very similar to the Wood Owl bit) and uses them in both hand brace and corded power drill.

[FONT=&amp]Richard Maquire: "If buying a brace I would look for one with a chuck to accept modern bits, and if you’ll be using it for screwing as well then the chuck is definitely needed and you should look out for a ratchet version (handy in tight spaces). You can use a wide variety of bits in it, but where ever possible choose those with the self-feeding ends, I’ve found the Wood Beaver drill bits and a brace to be a very good team."
attachment.php

https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/the-ultimate-cordless-drill/

And Paul Sellers also uses modern power tool bits in his brace.
[/FONT]
Paul Sellers: "These bits work well in a swing (hand) brace too and although they have a a single spur they do cut a clean walled hole with a clean rim. Another thing is that they are readily available, cut as well and give good results. Rather than not have bits I think it is better to have one or two of these around to work with."
attachment.php

attachment.php

https://paulsellers.com/2014/12/questions-answered-on-brace-and-bits/

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Attachments

• brace.jpg
    brace.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC_0051.jpg
    DSC_0051.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 158

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Maybe I should be more specific. The old square tapered shanks don't fit well in modern drill motor chucks.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't disagree. The quote about my auger bit set is from Lee Valley and only 3/7 bits won't fit my brace. The remaining 4 have a 3/8" hex shank and they work just fine. I will find a vintage hand brace that has the right size chuck for my last 3 auger bits (hand braces are new to me); those 3 bits also work nicely in my 1/2" power drill too but the speed is full open and get go!

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I'm curious about this, too. Plumbers and electricians swear by screw auger bits in their work cutting through framing material and cabinet walls. One master plumber told me recently "Be sure you get the screw bit augers, not regular spade bits" for some work I'm doing that requires drilling through ceiling joists.

Just a little note on this..Bosch makes a spade-bit with a screw point. It cuts pretty aggressively.

Ships-augers - like electricians and plumbers use - cut great but can be hard on the wrists and the longevity of underpowered drill-motors!

-Mark

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Well, I've found a solution with this Miller's Falls brace bought today. Not sure of it's exact model but it was made for the Craftsman brand.
Thanks to everyone for their help and insight. Now I'm off to chase another rabbit down another hole!

Dan

60W8
H8az

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Well, I've found a solution with this Miller's Falls brace bought today. Not sure of it's exact model but it was made for the Craftsman brand.
Thanks to everyone for their help and insight. Now I'm off to chase another rabbit down another hole!

Dan

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9324.JPG
    IMG_9324.JPG
    391.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_9323.JPG
    IMG_9323.JPG
    783.5 KB · Views: 165
Status
Not open for further replies.