Wood Mag - Custom Color your finishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Happened to be reading Sept 2006 issue of Wood last night before going to sleep and on page 54 there is an article about using toner to blend or match finished colors. Seemed to be pretty good, although I have not used any of the products from Mixol but seems to be the same basic principle about using toner to color match that I use with mohawk products.

Thanks...

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jeff,

Thanks for the post. Mixing and coloring (and finishing in general) is something I'm always trying to learn more about.

Ray

woodguy1975

New User
John
That is a pretty good article. Just a note. The mixol is just an oil based pigment. You can go in AC Moore or Michaels and buy pigments and mix them up with mineral spirits like that. Somewhere I had a list of basic colors you want to acquire to be able to do a full range of stain colors. Burnt sienna, raw umber...... Use a color wheel and you can mix and match just about any color. I typically use dyes more than pigmented stains unless the wood is pourous.

You can also mix your own grain filler pretty fast and easy with drywall mudd and pigments to tint it to the desired color. The finishing guy I learned from mentioned doing a John deere peice with yellow grainfill and green stain using oak. Not my style, but it shows the range of colors you can acheive.

Thanks,

John

jglord

New User
John
Mixol is advertised as universal colors and are reported to mix with most anything. I've had customers utilize mixol colors to add a slight change to other finishes with great success. Here is what is said on the link provided by Jeff:
MIXOL® colors are truly "universal" colors in that they use no binder. Made from quality pigments finely dispersed in a glycol ether carrier, they'll mix with just about anything, including oils, varnishes, shellac, lacquer and water base finishes. For touch up work, we've found them first rate when used with shellac and produce a smoother surface as compared to using dry pigments. Top coat any repaired area with shellac, aerosol lacquers, or water-base finish. The kit colors are also useful for tinting glazes, stains, fillers, glues, and waxes.​

We do carry the Mixol colors at Woodcraft, but, be warned, they are $5 each.

This link has the Mixol color chart and I added it here because at the bottom of the page is a translation from Mixol numbers to standard colors: Mixol Shade chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors