Wood ID please

RickR

Rick
Senior User
Found this log on the roadside and think it may be good for spoons but I’d like to know what it is. The 12 inch diameter by 12 inch log weighs 40-50lbs and is quite hard. Images are QS grain, bark, and end grain. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• B3A3DC26-A71C-4C01-A0E8-F9032EC6A14C.jpeg
    B3A3DC26-A71C-4C01-A0E8-F9032EC6A14C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 136
  • 10B7B42F-A50A-41CB-8157-6932FBC66AE1.jpeg
    10B7B42F-A50A-41CB-8157-6932FBC66AE1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
  • E6B229ED-8F1F-4AFF-B588-B8BB2A740355.jpeg
    E6B229ED-8F1F-4AFF-B588-B8BB2A740355.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 141

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I would guess maybe hickory or pecan. The grain looks a lot like some pecan I have. But I'm no expert.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was thinking hickory at first, but pecan is a better fit. The color, grain pattern and bark are right.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I didn't think about white oak. My pecan has similar characteristics as white oak. Looking at the bark more closely white oak is a good choice

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Just for kicks, I showed your bark pic to Picture This app on my phone. Her opinion was White Ash.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
These are always fun. I think the bark looks like plain old red oak. And finding it on the side of the road I would say red oak until proven otherwise. Maybe a closer photo of the bark would help.

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I’ll weigh in with my own guess: Butternut. Although the internet suggests it may not be native to my area (30 mi SE of Charlotte) so I wonder why it would be cut for firewood.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Bark definitely looks like white oak but the grain is so clear. Haven't seen much butternut bark but the lack of swirl in the grain makes me think that may be right.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Looks diffuse porous to me like poplar, basswood, etc.. No medullary rays like the oaks nor the open pores seen in oak, hickory, ash, or ring porous woods like that. Semi-ring porous like walnut or butternut would have more visible pores. Its easier to judge what it is not than what it is.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I’ll weigh in with my own guess: Butternut. Although the internet suggests it may not be native to my area (30 mi SE of Charlotte) so I wonder why it would be cut for firewood.
Butternut is not hard---I have used it for windsor chair seats and it is easy to carve, at least as soft as white pine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors