wood filler question

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
hey guys,what wood filler works best for filling nail holes,cracks,and the all too often mistakes.incedently,when someone asks,what i am making in the shop,my reply is far too often '' mistakes mostley''.any advice on this would be much appreciated. thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've used the Famowood that they sell at Lowe's with good success. I pick the color closest to the wood I am using and then mix it with a little of the choosen stain (if it's being stained) and it works well. Although I try to avoid having to use something like that all together...but usually fail :BangHead:

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I usually try to keep the holes I create to a real minimum by using pocket screws or biscuits, but when I must use nails, I use the smallest ones possible -- I prefer to use 18 Ga brad nails versus finishing nails -- and keep the heads below the surface. If the wood is going to be painted, I use latex caulk or spackle to fill the holes and keep any off the surface. Otherwise, I use Famowood or Minwax Wood Putty (if I can closely match color). I have also mixed very fine sawdust from the wood I'm using (random orbital sander 220 or 320 grit output) with fast setting epoxy and filled holes.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Acetone works great as a solvent for the Famowood..it does dry up very quickly :eusa_doh:, I've never finished a can without having to add some acetone to soften it again.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS