wiring the pantry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhreed

New User
james

Doing wiring while the line is hot can be exciting. Notice the soot on my fingers & thumbs. I found out the line was hot without needing a meter. This was done by a certified idiot, do not try this at home!

When you do wiring without tripping the breaker, the outcome is not an accicent. It is predictable.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I don't always do electrical, but when I do I bring a voltmeter.

StayThirsty.jpg

Stay insulated my friend.

b4man

New User
Barbara
:rotflm:
sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I try to look on the bright side ( no pun..) getting "bit" always makes me feel so much more alive!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry to see that you were burned. looking at the photos it would appear that you are attempting to add a third nm cable within that box to feed a new outlet. The metal box does not have the capacity to hold that many conductors if you are also reinstalling a device. seriously you need to replace that box with a 4 x 4 x 2 1/4 deep with a single gang mud ring. If a fire were to happen anywhere near that box, this code violation could jeapordize you insurance claim
I would strongly suggest having an electrician hook this up for you

Bryan S

Bryan
Sorry to see that you were burned. looking at the photos it would appear that you are attempting to add a third nm cable within that box to feed a new outlet. The metal box does not have the capacity to hold that many conductors if you are also reinstalling a device. seriously you need to replace that box with a 4 x 4 x 2 1/4 deep with a single gang mud ring. If a fire were to happen anywhere near that box, this code violation could jeapordize you insurance claim
I would strongly suggest having an electrician hook this up for you

+1 Glad it was no worse than it was.

DaveD

New User
Dave
I don't believe you can have more than one receptacle on a laundry circuit. Looks like you are adding at least two more. And lastly, why on God's green earth were you trying to do this 'hot'?

ehpoole

Ethan
The metal box does not have the capacity to hold that many conductors if you are also reinstalling a device. seriously you need to replace that box with a 4 x 4 x 2 1/4 deep with a single gang mud ring.

Actually, the existing single-gang box could be replaced with a much deeper single-gang box, which would avoid the need for a double-gang box with single-gang mud ring, though that is one way of achieving the required volume per conductor. He will need a box with 20+ cubic inches to accommodate 3x 12/2 Romex and a receptacle (if my memory and math is correct).

With regard to the need for and electrician, that should, hopefully, be self-evident by this point. The OP is very lucky to be alive with that much grounded metal that he could have made contact with at the time he came in contact with the live wire -- all you need is to pass the current from one hand and out the other, straight past the heart, to stop the heart for good. A $20 voltage detector could have prevented this accident entirely.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I second the use of a voltage detector. I won't remove a cover plate, until I use a "sniffer". They are only $15 at the big box stores.

Glennbear

Glenn
I second the use of a voltage detector. I won't remove a cover plate, until I use a "sniffer". They are only $15 at the big box stores.

Amen Tim !!!! I have several voltmeters but buying a pen type sniffer is the smartest thing I could of done when wiring my shop. It stays in my shirt pocket thus eliminating the temptation not to check because a meter is not handy to use. I would caution to test the sniffer often. :wsmile:

FlyingRon

Ron
Back when I was working in the theatre lighting biz I worked with a guy who would detect hot wires/buses by licking his thumb and touching the suspect conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS