Wiring Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepMr

New User
Michael
I picked up my 17" Band saw yesterday and have a wiring question. The motor has been wired for 110. The plug is a 3 prong plug. One of the prongs is vertical and the other is horizontal. Question is, can I remove the plug and put on a standard 3 prong plug for 110?:dontknow:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
This plug is intended for use on a 20 amp circuit and receptacle. Just pick up a standard 20 amp duplex receptacle and you should be ok. You'll note that the receptacle has one side 'T' shaped to accommodate your plug as well as a standard parallel configuration. Also, be sure your circuit is wired with minimum 12 gauge wire and 20 amp breaker.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
This plug is intended for use on a 20 amp circuit and receptacle. Just pick up a standard 20 amp duplex receptacle and you should be ok. You'll note that the receptacle has one side 'T' shaped to accommodate your plug as well as a standard parallel configuration. Also, be sure your circuit is wired with minimum 12 gauge wire and 20 amp breaker.

Some photos for clarity:
20A plug
20A receptacle (this with GFCI)

JeepMr

New User
Michael
The shop is all 12 gauge wire, 20amp breakers, and 15a receptacles.
If I have this right, the saw draws 20amps which would obviously be too much for the 15a receptacle. That’s why I can't put standard 3 prong plug on the saw.
If I replace one of the 15a receptacles with a standard 20 amp duplex receptacle, Will it be ok on the same circuit as the 15a receptacles?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Yes, because your breaker is 20a. Just replace one of the receptacles on that circuit w/ a 20a receptacle. Good to go. :thumbs_up Although to be technically correct, you should have a 15a breaker on a circuit w/ 15a receptacles.

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Yes, because your breaker is 20a. Just replace one of the receptacles on that circuit w/ a 20a receptacle. Good to go. :thumbs_up Although to be technically correct, you should have a 15a breaker on a circuit w/ 15a receptacles.

Bill
Actually, 15A receptacles are the oddball in the National Electrical Code. You can have 15A receptacles with a 20A breaker, provided you have at least two receptacles. See section NEC Table 210.21 (B)(3). Logical? No.

JeepMr

New User
Michael
Thanks Guys!! I'll head to HD tomorrow and get a couple of 20a outlets. Then I can finally use my new used 17" Band Saw!! :gar-La;

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
You should also check the remaining receptacles between the one you are replacing and the panel. Be sure they are not 'back wired' into the receptacle or landed on the receptacle screws and are instead pigtailed at each outlet to assure the full 20 amp load isn't being passed through the 15 amp receptacles themselves.

Sully

New User
jay
While you are at it, be absolutely sure the motor is wired for 110V. Pull the motor cover plate and physically check the wiring diagram against the actual wiring configuration.

I don't know how many times I have bought a machine where the wiring was "interesting".

Case in point: a recent purchase of an 8" jointer that had a 15A 110V plug on it. The previous owner said it was wired for 110V and that the knives needed to be sharpened or replaced. Turns out the switch was wired for 110V, but the motor was wired for 220V, no wonder he thought the knives were dull: the motor was starved for power.

$0.02
J

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Actually, 15A receptacles are the oddball in the National Electrical Code. You can have 15A receptacles with a 20A breaker, provided you have at least two receptacles. See section NEC Table 210.21 (B)(3). Logical? No.

I've come to the conclusion that if I ever build another house or shop (hopefully never), I'll eliminate 15a circuits, or at the very least run only 12 ga wire or heavier. No more 14 ga. That way I can always upgrade to a 20a breaker if I need to.

Bill

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
You should also check the remaining receptacles between the one you are replacing and the panel. Be sure they are not 'back wired' into the receptacle or landed on the receptacle screws and are instead pigtailed at each outlet to assure the full 20 amp load isn't being passed through the 15 amp receptacles themselves.
Back-stab connections aren't ideal, but virtually all 15A receptacles are rated for 20A pass-thru - so no problems there. Just check the markings on the receptacles.

This is related to the 15A vs 20A exception that Bas mentioned.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS