Wiring 220v in a shop/garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
I am a teacher overseas that returns to my mountain home every June, wishing that three more years to a second retirement would come quickly. I have a shop attached to my garage and it is wired through a 100 amp box, from the house 220 amp box. It seems the previous owner put every couple of outlets on its own circuit. He even left a space for an emergency generator. There are four empty spaces, so I know that two 220v wires would be easy to install. I need three 220v circuits run, one with a switch in shop for a future dust collector in the second add on tractor garage. At most, all I ever see two circuits being used at one time, and that is after I get a dust collector.

Location: Troutdale, Virginia, just north of Independence, near Comers Rock. Time: summer, 3rd week of June after school gets out.

Any ideas on who might be able to and how to get this done efficiently without costing a ton and staying within all code rules? (not regretting it afterwards).

Guy Belleman
Teacher, chemistry
Misawa, Japan

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Guy
My suggestion would be to get in touch with a local electrician and have him access what the situation is. It sounds to me that your panelbox probably has the capacity to do what you want to do but may just have to be juggled around a bit. A lot will depend on the size of the circuits that you want to add{ 20 amp,30 amp} and what already exists. A good electrician can determine how to combine which circuits to make the extra space that you need .

Mike

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Running the wires yourself and hiring an electrician to make the connections is probably the best way to go about it. Another option is to check around a commercial facility and see if they have an on staff electrician and see if they do work on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS