Willow

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I just got a head's up that friend of a friend took down a large weeping willow tree over the weekend that was threatening the foundation of his house
Is this wood worth anything ?

Thanx for any and all replies :icon_thum

Glennbear

Glenn
I am not familiar with willow but I would hazard a guess that a certain scroller out in Youngsville is just itching to try resawing some on his new bandsaw :rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It's very soft, tends to be unstable while drying and likes to splinter while machining. Salix nigra (Black Willow) is the only species that is really considered a lumber species.
But free wood is free wood. I have seen some spectular turnings with it, and there is nothing wrong with practice wood.
Dave:)

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Robert,
I had one interaction with willow that made me remember it almost 20 years later. I was using it to make a pair of feet for speaker stands and found a really beautiful piece. I cut into it and turned off the saw, cursing :wmad:. Darned old sewer!:swoon: Must have backed up again!! So off I went into the house sniffing to see where the sewer had backed up. Hummmmm... NO BACKUP! What is going on? :icon_scra So back to the willow in the shop.

Then it hit me, all in one aromatic burst as I walked back into the shop. OMG! I needed a clothes pin!!

After investigating, seems the willow was harvested from a swamp that was near a treatment facility, which it had stored up for future generations -- including ME!! To put it mildly, it smelled like an old, open septic system!!

Otherwise, it was very easy to work with, was soft and a little prone to tear out if the tools were dull. And the smell was easily covered with finish. :icon_thum

I agree, free is GOOD!
Jim

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The branches can be used for water divining rods and also for educating recalcitrant youths (oops, guess that was last century) . Willow is used for basketry and wicker furniture, also.

Go

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
my first experiance was much like jim's. cutting one down (and not near any treatment plant) i turned the saw off sevealr times to check the bottom of my boots. aromatic is an understatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS