Willow experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
Got a piece of willow from a neighbor part of a tree blown down never turned willow before anyone have any thoughts

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Not my favorite wood. Soft, fuzzy, warps, no figure, etc. But you could try it-maybe your willow is different from the one I tried.

Roy G

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Willow, cut 4 quarter will dry to a very light weight board, but has the aroma of cat urine until it is dried. Used it to sheath a shed a few years ago, and put lots of used diesel oil on it. Not telling where, so you can't sick the EPA on me.:wink_smil It has very little practical use as Roy G said above, fuzzy and coarse texture. Sawing some large willow logs was just an experiment, and never happened again on our sawmill.:confused_

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Although Willow lumber has no real good use for woodworking. The bark of White Willow can be made into a tea and be used simular to taking aspirin - this is good to know if your in a survival situation and need pain management. So it's not a useless tree after all.

http://www.motherearthliving.com/Natural-Health/make-white-willow-bark-tea-for-pain-relief

I didn't say it was useless,:no: just said it smelled like cat pee! :wconfused:I hauled the boards from one log, to the house, from the sawmill. I was never quite able to completely rid my van of that disagreeable aroma.:eusa_booh

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I didn't say it was useless,:no: just said it smelled like cat pee! :wconfused:I hauled the boards from one log, to the house, from the sawmill. I was never quite able to completely rid my van of that disagreeable aroma.:eusa_booh

You should try and saw some USA invasive "Tree of Heaven" (Ailanthus altissima) originally​ from China - it smells like straight up Sh_t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS