Why you need a trammel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Here is a bit of lost woodworking lore. Trammels, or beam compasses, have been around for centuries. It is an ancient device for marking circles, arcs and other curves. These little devices are so handy that I have four or five in my workshop--different sizes, different types. My little tip of the day involves measuring with a trammel. It is way too easy to make mistakes with a tape measure. How often have you measured 3/4" and cut 3/8"? Measurements with tapes require conversion and sometimes the nuance of the measurement can be lost through error or lack of precision. This is where the trammel set comes in. It allows you to transfer the EXACT measurement by proxy. My corner cupboard project illustrates this point. I need to cut a piece to fit the door opening. This place was in a pretty awkward spot. The first operation was to measure the opening exactly from pin to pin and lock the trammel points into position.
IMAG0539.jpg

JimReed2160

New User
jim
The next operation was to find the stick that needed to be cut and measure it out using the trammel. Because of the trammel, I could then move my work back to the bench. That is nice because the bench is not in an awkward spot and the benchtop has better lighting. Using the trammel makes my woodworking easier and more precise.

This tip also works great for drawer openings. They are usually difficult to measure using a tape.

Here is the stick on the workbench with the trammel on top. The distance between the pins is EXACTLY the width of the cupboard opening.
IMAG0540.jpg

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for the reminder about traditional tools/ skills. I for one have a tendency to get hung up in the digital/ laser/ GPS way of things and it has gotten me in trouble more than once recently :wconfused:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
That is an excellent tip Jim. I have used trammel points for years but it never crossed my mind to use them for measuring door or drawer openings!! I always associated the trammel with circles and arcs as you pointed out. This tip came at a really good time for me-------getting into kitchen cabinets and there is going to be a lot of doors and drawers, I will be sure to use the information you just presented.

Thanks for posting the tip:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Jerry

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great idea, Jim! I have never worked with a true trammel - always jury rigged with a stick and a couple of finishing nails!:cry2:

Now. I need to set out and try and find some good trammel points some where.

I can certainly see where using a trammel over a tape measure would be bang-on accurate!:eusa_danc

Thanks for the tip!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great perspective on an old tool!
Does this mean, I have to buy a trammel :wconfused:

Rpger

M

McRabbet

I'm reviving this thread because I was browsing my magazines and found this nice Video Link for using a trammel to do several very useful chores beyond drawing circles or setting a measurement between two points; it includes a neat trick for dividing a board into any number of equal parts and drawing ellipses. It is from ShopNotes Issue 97 where you can find plans to make your own trammel.

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Oh I need to get one of those fancy contraptions!!! I'm such a green horn I've never seen or heard of a Trammel! I'm gona keep my eye out & pick up one on my next field trip to the hardware store!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're looking, try & find one with a notch & thumb screw that'll hold a pencil. Some sets are made this way so you can unscrew one metal point for marking with a pencil. Very useful that way.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Here is a photo of my user trammels in the shop. One set just does not satisfy me. Large set for large projects. Small and light set for small projects. Yardstick trammel set is handy. The clamp on trammels are nice because they can be clamped on construction lumber like furring strips to make a bigggg trammel. The captured trammels are nice if you need to make adjustments because they will not fall off when you move them. The set at the bottom is my first set. I found a single and made a mate for it out of a fixed nail. Works pretty good and was my only trammel for years. Sometimes a redneck woodworker just has to make do or do without. Anyway, it has been hard for me to find one set that does it all.
IMAG0551.jpg

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Make do or do without If thats not burnt into my brain I don't know what is!!! The one thing My mom said on a daily basis was Use It Up, Wear It out, Make It Do, Or Do Without!! I think I learned that before I learned my name!!:BangHead:

JimReed2160

New User
jim
That is a nice set to have--pretty easy to change out the points for lead. Also nice because of the light weight. Drill a hole in yer stick, shoot a sheetrock screw in the wall, and hang it up. When you look up from your project, your trammel friend will be ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS