Why woodworking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Every hobby cost something, and some are expensive!
Boats are always either breaking down or breaking docks etc.!
Golf at $60 per round, twice a week adds up too!
Both of those hobbies leave only memories - yours!
Whereas woodworking, for the same money or less, leaves tangible proof you were here.

Granted, some of us don't sign our work for that very reason :rotflm:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
When I was around 7 my dad tried building houses. Drove & bent many nails in scrap lumber. In 7th grade I had my 1st shop class. My teacher was John Pennington (his picture now hangs in my shop) He gave us the basics. I moved a lot when young and had shop every year except one for drafting. 1st. real job was a cartographer for Virginia Highway Dept. I was the only draftsman. Everybody else were artist. The art bug bit. It took a few years but I went to school in my early 30s in graphic design. 30 years creating with City of Charlotte. 1st graphic design & commercial art, photography then television production. The bottom line is I LOVE TO CREATE. Wood, plastic, paper television, studio design and construction whatever. Woodworking offers me that. I spent a few years drafting so everything starts out on the drawing board. Most folks don't understand when I say "when I've finished drawing it I've built it. Now all I have to do is go to the shop and put it together. At this point I'm rebuilding my shop cabinets. I've drawn some designs 6 or 8 times, but when I've finished building I have what I wanted. The best part of my life has been creating. I've been a very lucky man.

Pop

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
The creative spirit has to have an outlet. I believe it is human nature to create. For some it is visual, for some it is sensual, like food. But regardless, it is based in an experience of the senses.

Why wood? I don't think any woodworker can answer that question, not more than a sculptor can say why clay and not stone?

For me, it is the variety of woods, the grain and beauty and functionality of different species. It is structure and form, the precision of some types of building that appears to the "engineer" in me.

It is also the challenge of craftsmanship -- honing our skills, learning something every day. Learning from others. Appreciating those truly skilled among us. It is a gift from God for those of us who really create the great works. When you really try this stuff and then watch the masters, you really appreciate their skill.

It is also therapeutic. We need to stay busy and make our time useful in this life. And it's a hobby that can potentially have some financial rewards.

My biggest challenge is trying to learn to accept my mistakes and instead of staring over, try to embrace them by either fixing the mistake or even incorporate the mistake into the design if possible. Rather than throwing everything away because it didn't match the plans.

I was recently watching a video series by Charles Neil he said "how wide is it? I don't know, I'll tell you when I'm finished".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeachBoy

New User
Jim
To be honest, I'm not sure it had to be woodworking. It could have been anything creative that resulted in beauty. But, I must say, woodworking is much more conducive to my macho image than, say, knitting.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
You a funny guy Mike - If I had your talents I would have to have two heads to store it all in.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Let Me Add a big +1 to that. I have seen your shop and I know what you can do.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Wanted to bang nails since I was a kid. My first hammer was a rock (no pun) and I used the same nails over & over again. I made lots of soap boxes and pigeon coups back in the day. I had an intuitive Mom and she got me into a vocational high school (Diman Regional Vocational HS in Fall River MA). Working in 3 or 4 cab shops over the next 5 yrs in the early 70's, I got "caught up" in stuff of the day and ran off into the military. After discharge, I took a government job in another trade in a NW shipyard. Over the next 30 years, I built one house, remodeled others, designed/built 9 or 10 kitchens, and innumerable other wwing projects (furniture/cabinets) for friends & family and the occassional commission. Retiring at 57, I moved here, established "Woodworx" and do commission work. The work is not consistant and too little to support a family, but I don't need it for that. Although 62, I still get excited when I get new commissions, just as I did when I got some new scraps of wood as a kid, and a handfull of nails to bang it all together. I love wwing design, engineering, and most processes needed for the builds. What I don't like about wwing is the changing trade, or the dying of what I've loved about it.

I've had 2 cabinetmaker positions, & 1 installer job since here, and most of what I like about the trade is no longer a part of it! Things are designed on PC's, built in an industrial environment with laborers familiar only with a process, and not the peice they or others will assemble, and others will finish! They are familiar only with the processes & the maintenance of the machine(s) upon which they work, but are totally unfamiliar with the customer's likes & dislikes. Efficiency rules in each step of the build, and the things I prize about the trade are lost unless you do it yourself your way.

My wife & I just got back from NY to attend my daughter's baby shower. I made her an heirloom rocking horse. It was nothing, really - a typical toy look with a mop mane and tail. Had seen a pic of what I liked, penciled a sketch, & 20 hrs later, with a $75 investment, it appeared. Responses were over the top from all 30 guests & family members. It's not why I ww, but it's enuff to keep me going. The next best thing is a customer's smile as they hand me a check.

023.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS