Why do you like hand tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Working in a field (harpsichord building) where our prototypes were built 300 years ago, one would think that I'm a traditionalist. Not so! I can't quite come to grips with the argument that building anything the way it was done centuries ago is intrinsically better. Let's take the lathe, for example (a tool that I use infrequently and understand even less). I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone would choose a pedal-powered lathe over a modern, electric lathe. To say that pedal-powered lathes are the "traditional" way is to ignore a key fact. We have a choice - our ancestors didn't. I often wonder - if the craftsmen of yore had access to electricity and modern machinery, would they have used them? IMHO they would have, at least in part. What do you think?

Ernie

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I often wonder - if the craftsmen of yore had access to electricity and modern machinery, would they have used them? IMHO they would have, at least in part. What do you think?

This is one of my all time favorite cannaworms. :gar-La;

I read somewhere that palm size carving tools are actually somewhat recent as a manufactured item, after centuries of violin makers and other craftsmen choking up on some of their tools after sharpening with a bevel angle so low they would not want to strike the handle anyway. But for generations, masters taught their apprentices that was how it was done. Now if you have palm tools, you think you are a traditionalist...

The lathe is a real hard one to defend for any traditional reasons. A powered lathe is the same basic machine. A power saw versus hand saw is another matter entirely; same with planes.

Anyway, I think they would use the equipment if they had access to it. Maybe not down to the last step, but shaping blanks and removing bulk? Absolutely.

Just one problem - Where would they plug it in? :dontknow: :rotflm:

EDIT - Hand tools are still my preference most of the time. But it is be cause I like them, not because I think they are technically superior.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Make no mistake (ugh, that expression has lost its allure...), I'm not a purist.

I do, via common sense, concur with the assessment that sharp blades and messing about with same will inevitably result in nicks, cuts and, sometimes, stitches.

I have both (power and Neander) and use them freely as needed. Being a lover of olde stuph, I do at least collect old planes and a few other things. This love began when I was a 10-year-old, so I won't claim that I've "discovered" an appreciation, because I've always appreciated how people in Days of Olde got things done without our modern trappings.

:kermit: Steve

bpeck

New User
Brian
No need for ear plugs. Sound is a big thing for me. I like quiet. Barring the hammering, hand tools are quiet. I also like the sound and feel of a sharp tool slicing through wood, and the sense of accomplishment of sawing a board with accuracy.

It's kind of a zen meditation thing too. I work with computers and other annoying technology all day, when I turn to my hobby I want to step back to something a little slower and simpler and less likely to get my blood pressure up.

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Come on guys, you know the best thing about hand tools is the "variable speed". Either that or the way the "sound suppressors" work. Well, it could actually be the low drain on the electrical bill. One of the three anyway!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors