white oak for outdoor use question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I was reading up on wood for outdoor use and found that white oak seems like a suitable wood. I was also considering cedar. I just wanted to verify it with you guys. It would be for a grill cart that will be kept under a grill cover but stored outside so I don't think it would be directly rained on.

thnx...Steve

BSHuff

New User
Brian
white oak is a perfectly acceptable wood for outdoor/wet use. A lot of the low-boy heavy equipment trailers are decked in white oak for the durability & strength. I rebuilt some boat seats using white oak and marine grade ply, the white oak stood up better then the marine ply...

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
White oak is a great outdoor wood. I built some adirondack chairs years ago with it and they were beautiful (and heavy).

Red

AviOren

New User
Avi
One of my recent posts:

If I was making an Adirondack chair these days I would make it out of western red cedar construction lumber available at home centers. For screws, I would use rust-resistant deck screws and cover the screws heads with glue plugs. Glue to be poly. Finish would be two coats of exterior oil , or, use clear wood preservative such as Wolman Raincoat Water Repellent in a tint = Cedartone.

CUSTOM COLORS: Armstrong’s Wood Stains are NOT TINTABLE, however, Armstrong’s Transparent and Semi Transparent Wood Stains can be intermixed to create custom colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors