Which hvlp system and where to purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeeves

New User
dwight
I am looking to purchase an HVLP system to paint cabinets and adirondack chairs. Easy clean up is some what important. I understand some systems require no thining of paint? A local dealer would be great. THANKS to all in advance Dwight

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have an Apollo sprayer that I like very much. I use it to spray water based varnish on the cubbies that I build for the YMCA's. Stuff cost about $50/ gallon. Cut my usage by more than 50%. Paid for itself on first job. I bought my gun from Gus Stefurac (spelling?). He has reprensented Apollo for many years, and may be retired now. Built my own turbine using Ametek vacumm motor from Grainger. This is the same turbine that Apollo, Fuji, and others use.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Bruce - Any chance you'd share the details of building that turbine?

pete

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
If you have any interest in a used HVLP I have a Fuji that I bought ~6 years ago. After using it a few times I decided it was not going to work out in my small shop. I stored it and have not used it since. It probably has <1 hour of actual use. I was going to keep it until I built a larger space but that day looks a long way off. I can give more details if you are interested - PM me.

rhett

New User
rhett
I have the Fuji Q3 and am very happy with the performance. It is as quiet as a shop vac. It is only used for clear laquer. I run thinner through the gun after every use to keep it clean, and do a complete teardown/cleaning after every 5th use. I would suggest getting a whip hose attachment, as the thick garden hose tube really puts a strain on the wrist with prolonged spray sessions.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have the Fuji Q3 and am very happy with the performance. It is as quiet as a shop vac.

?

I use hearing protection with my shop vac on... and could stand not to use it with the 8" jointer and 2 HP DC running at the same time.

What shop vac are you comparing it to?

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have the Turbinaire system from WoodCraft and have been very pleased with it. Have used it mostly with pre-cat laquer and some solid color enamels. You just have to make sure that you use the right needle and tip that is matched to the the thickness of the paint you are using. Once that is established, it is almost foolproof.

rhett

New User
rhett
What shop vac are you comparing it to?[/quote]

A small 5gal model. Used for cleaning, not capturing dust. Maybe I should have said quiet as a hoover. You can easily talk over the turbine without having to raise your voice.

Travis

New User
Travis
I bought the Fuji Q4 from the owner of the company at the Klingspore Extravaganza last fall. (It is actually a Candadian Company.) It is a great unit and I have been completely happy with it. The only reason why you want to go with the Q4 is to handle latex paint. Otherwise the Q3 would be more than adequate. It is true that you can spray most finishes with out thinning but latex paint requires about 10% thinning. No big problem and the finish is great. Take a look at my photo album for my results. You can also google their web site for more detailed information. As mentioned above cleaning is a snap. Actually, Fuji recomends that you do not break down the gun. Just run solvent thrugh a couple of times and wipe out the can and rinse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS