Which chuck for Nova DVR XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
With my purchase of a new Lathe, comes the need to purchase a new chuck. ( the old one goes with the GW Lathe on Thursday).

So my question is which brand and which model?

The DVR has a 16" swing, but the drive head swivels out board to allow much larger pieces.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would agree with Mike, IMO that's the best big swing chuck on the market. If you want a mid-size chuck with a lot of jaws the Barracuda set from PSI is a great deal. I wish that I had known about it before I bought my Talon (same thing but will all the jaws for less $$)
Dave:)

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Depends upon how much money you have to spend and optional accessories you need. Also where you going to buy your chuck. Are you comfortable with Tommy bars or single key operation?

I like the Oneway Stronghold the best but, would have no problem owning a VICMARC, VM120, or SuperNova2. May save a few dollars buying a SuperNova2 at Packard Woodworks they're having a 10% off sale on Technatool chucks & accessories.

Bought my Talon chuck from Woodcraft, during one of their 10% off sales.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I will throw in a vote for the Supernova II. I have been using either the original Nova, a Supernova or a SNII on my Nova since I bought the lathe and have never had a problem. I like the fact that all the jaws are interchangeable with all the Nova chucks. The SNII is rated for up to 29" with the correct set of jaws.

I have used the Talon, the Stronghold and at least one of the Vicmarcs (probably both) and have found them all to be good pieces of equipment. My only beef with the Talon/Stronghold series is that the jaws are not all interchangeable from chuck to chuck.

You can also save some money on Nova chucks and accessories on Woodchips.com.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
you cant go wrong with any of the oneway offerings. i have both the stronghold and the talon. love em! also have a nova compact and its good but tommy bars can be a PITA.:-D

fred

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Can someone explain Tommy Bars and are they used on the SuperNova

two bars fit in two holes in the chuck body and are moved in oposite directions to tighten and loosen the jaws. a third hand is often helpfull!:roll:

not sure about the SN as i dont have one. the oneway chucks operate with a t-wrench. only need 2 hands!:eusa_clap

fred

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
two bars fit in two holes in the chuck body and are moved in oposite directions to tighten and loosen the jaws. a third hand is often helpfull!:roll:

not sure about the SN as i dont have one. the oneway chucks operate with a t-wrench. only need 2 hands!:eusa_clap

fred
I don't think the supernova uses tommy bars. It appears to have a T-wrench. Anyone confirm?

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Yes, SuperNova comes with a Hex Key! Just look for chucks at:

http://www.packwardwoodworks.com

Also Woodcraft carries both Teknatool and OneWay chucks.

I also have one of those off shore scroll chucks that use tommy bars, purchased from Packard WoodWorks several years ago. I've got the bars all bent up. Also stripped one of the hex bolts while changing jaws.

Scroll chucks that need tommy bar, supposed to install wood into the jaws tighten with bar then install chuck on the lathe. Of course no one does it that way. Most people just slide the tail stock up to help hold the wood while you tighten.

Also do the same op, using Hex Key.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
With my purchase of a new Lathe, comes the need to purchase a new chuck. ( the old one goes with the GW Lathe on Thursday).

So my question is which brand and which model?

The DVR has a 16" swing, but the drive head swivels out board to allow much larger pieces.

Steve,

I have the One Way Talon and so far it has held up very well. Also, I found some short videos on the lathe and didn't know if you saw them or not so check these out.
NOVA DVR XP WOODLATHE - Articles at Woodcraft

Mike

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve,

I have the One Way Talon and so far it has held up very well. Also, I found some short videos on the lathe and didn't know if you saw them or not so check these out.
NOVA DVR XP WOODLATHE - Articles at Woodcraft

Mike
I also have the oneway talon and was pleased with it. But it is going to go with the GW Lathe, so I will need a new chuck. Tom ferone suggested I get another. But, after looking it the whole idea, I thought I should step up to the stronghold, but then I saw the reviews on the supernova2 and the fact that Most jaws are interchangeable and the price is much better, left me in confusion:neener:

Big Mike, what jaws set would you get to start off with, know that I will be doing goblets and matching bowls and platters in the first few months, I can't imagine any of the bowels or platters being larger than 16", at least for the first few months.

mshel, thanks for pointing me to those videos. They were great

Last edited:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Steve, the SNII comes with the 50mm jaws standard and in truth you can do all the things you are talking about doing with just that one set of jaws. I used just the 50mm jaws for a long time while I was learning and did not realize I "needed" other jaws until someone showed me the advantages of different jaw sets.

However if you are going to start turning large bowl blanks, i.e. more than 4 inches thick I would recommend you go to the 75mm bowl jaw set which is thicker in cross section and designed specifically for the job. If you are going to turn outboard and start swinging 20 inch or larger platter blanks I would add the 130mm jaw set.

I would also recommend the 35mm spigot jaw set for gripping the ends of round sections that you would be turning for boxes or goblets. The spigot jaw set is a little longer in length and the inside of the jaws are serrated to give a tenacious grip on round stock that is only being held by the chuck. I love the spigot jaws for turning boxes as they really grab the end of a piece of wood and hold it so you can hog out the insides of an box blank in a hurry. Same technique applies for goblets.

If I were you I would only add the jaw sets as I determined I had a need for them. Of course if I had your money I would burn mine....:rolf:

I can hardly wait to hear your reviews of the DVR XP. What is really sweet about that machine is the fact that you can be experiencing vibration at one speed and you are able to just bump the RPM's up or down in 5 rpm increments until the vibration goes away. That is a real advantage on finishing cuts.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve, the SNII comes with the 50mm jaws standard and in truth you can do all the things you are talking about doing with just that one set of jaws. I used just the 50mm jaws for a long time while I was learning and did not realize I "needed" other jaws until someone showed me the advantages of different jaw sets.

However if you are going to start turning large bowl blanks, i.e. more than 4 inches thick I would recommend you go to the 75mm bowl jaw set which is thicker in cross section and designed specifically for the job. If you are going to turn outboard and start swinging 20 inch or larger platter blanks I would add the 130mm jaw set.

I would also recommend the 35mm spigot jaw set for gripping the ends of round sections that you would be turning for boxes or goblets. The spigot jaw set is a little longer in length and the inside of the jaws are serrated to give a tenacious grip on round stock that is only being held by the chuck. I love the spigot jaws for turning boxes as they really grab the end of a piece of wood and hold it so you can hog out the insides of an box blank in a hurry. Same technique applies for goblets.

If I were you I would only add the jaw sets as I determined I had a need for them. Of course if I had your money I would burn mine....:rolf:

I can hardly wait to hear your reviews of the DVR XP. What is really sweet about that machine is the fact that you can be experiencing vibration at one speed and you are able to just bump the RPM's up or down in 5 rpm increments until the vibration goes away. That is a real advantage on finishing cuts.
Thanks that's what I was looking for.:icon_thum Now I have to make a decision:BangHead: :lol:

"Of course if I had your money" I suspect that you have an inflated,pun intened, of my financial position. I once posted that I paid for most of my tools with poker winnings. I wasn't kidding. I won about $10,000 playing no-limit hold'em over a 6 month period. That's what paid for most of my larger purchases.

I haven't played for over a year, but with the purchase of the DVR, I decided I better start playing again. So, 2 nights ago, I went online to play, only to find out that a law has been passed that scared almost all of the poker sites to ban USA citizens from playing. I did find site that still will let me play, but let's say, that first night wasn't very good for me and now the DVR is 1/3 more expensive than it was:lol:

Oh well I expected that. The first few nights are always bad until I get back into the swing of things. I hope:eusa_pray

JanesJeff

New User
Jeff Stikeleather
I want to ask an additional question. What about a vacuum chuck. You can get the air-motive vacuum generator with adapter complete (HoldFast) from Packard for ~$250.00. While the vacuum chuck has specific advantages for finishing detail on bowls, would it be a good single choice for a chuck???? You would have to make custom adapters in some cases I think, but these can be made from MDF eg.

I am also in the fix of having a new lathe and need to decide what chuck to buy.

Thanks a bunch.

Jeff

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Jeff, I would not recommend a vacuum chuck as your only chuck for a number of reasons. First and foremost, rough bowl blanks do not have a surface that is conducive to using a vacuum chuck. You need a a smooth uniform surface for it to work. I cannot imagine it would work at all for blanks that you would use for boxes and goblets.

It is hard to beat a good 4 jaw scroll chuck. As I said in response to Steve, and I will admit I am biased, I like my Supernova II chucks by Teknatool. I am not saying they are any better or worse than Oneway, Vicmarc or any other chuck. I just like them because all of the Nova jaws fit all Nova chucks and that is not true for all manufacturers.

They are offered at a pretty good price at: Welcome to Wood Chips in their online store. I think they have the best price available on the Supernova II chuck including an insert.

Hope this helps....

JanesJeff

New User
Jeff Stikeleather
Thanks very much ... that is exactly the feedback I was looking for. I did try the site you recommended. They must be having problems. It is 11:45 at night, maybe they are sleeping now. I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS