Which brad nailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I am buying a brad nailer in the morning for a trim job, and thought I'd see if I could get some quick input here.

My choices:

Bostitch BT1855K: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Ridgid R213BNA: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Hitachi NT50AE2: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=241151-67702-NT50AE2&lpage=none

Based on what I have read thus far they are split like this...

Best price Hitachi
Best reviews Ridgid, The Hitachi has good reviews as well, just not as many.
Best reputation Bostitch (long term rep that is) it's a brand new offering, so reviews are sparse.

Which one do you have, or would you get, of these three locally available nailers?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Hitachi and it works very well for me. You are welcome to stop over and try it out.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Bostich it is OIL LESS, works great and then after you buy one I always have a spare at your house
:rotflm: Really tho it is a great gun. I also have an abundance of PC, Senco, and Bostich, Hitachi.
I do won this gun and like it alot

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 for Porter-Cable. I have one of every size they make from 15 gauge to 23 and have never had one fail.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
well.... I have had a PC [loved it, lost it] and have a bostich[2], a senco, airy, and a hitachi. I like the hitachi the best. it drives em harder and adjustable depth makes it a winner in my book. next best would be the ol reliable senco. [oiled] cant seem to kill these. 3rd would be my small bostich. it drives almost as hard as the hitachi but is bulkier and only goes to 1 1/4" nails. oh and the 2" version of the bostich??????? I'l make ya a real good deal on that one!:gar-Bi the airy is a sweet 1 1/4" shooter but alas it,s about 25 years old and needs some rebuilding again so it's out of commission for now. did i mention I like the hitachi? and its inexpensive too.:icon_thum I have also used the HF and believe it or not it done good! cant speak to its longevity.

BTW get the brads at HF. yeh you heard right Harbor fright. they are the same nails and about half the cost.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll pick up the Hitachi. I like the price $69 @ Lowes, and it carries enough favor here.

NH2NC

New User
Eric
Matt,

I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the choices you selected.

Enjoy the new Hitachi!:icon_thum

+1 for HF nails. Good call Fred! I get mine there too. Pins, nails and staples are much less expensive. However, if I were to do outdoor projects I would spring for "good quality" galvanized PC, Bostitch, etc...

Last edited:

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I know it's late, but My favorites are in order from Senco (used it trimming houses for my dad), Bostich and Dewalt (which I have now and love it).

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Well, I ended up getting the Bostitch. I didn't get a chance to use it today, but I'm sure it'll get a workout tomorrow. When I got to the store I just couldn't get myself to buy the Hitachi. I don't know something, just felt wrong about it.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Well, I ended up getting the Bostitch. I didn't get a chance to use it today, but I'm sure it'll get a workout tomorrow. When I got to the store I just couldn't get myself to buy the Hitachi. I don't know something, just felt wrong about it.

Well you can't go wrong with Bostitch, My dad has a coil nailer from them that is about 20yr old and has seen HEAVY use in putting in subfloor. Oh forgot, Paslode is another favorite of mine, right behind Senco and alittle better than Bostitch. Their cordless nailers are second to none.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

let us know how it works. I have the 2" model and the 1 1/4" model. the 1 1/4" works like a champ. the 2" mangles every 3rd or 4th nail on a good day with 1 3/4 -2" nails. they go in about 1/2" and bend out the side. tried several brands of nails with same results. I got it at the flea market cheap but it was new in box. [at least it appeared to be]. it is also the oiled model so it's an older version. at least you got a warrantee if it doesnt perform. I shoot thousands of nails a year. the hitachi has never needed service and it has shot 100,000 nails at the least.

eyekode

New User
Salem
let us know how it works. I have the 2" model and the 1 1/4" model. the 1 1/4" works like a champ. the 2" mangles every 3rd or 4th nail on a good day with 1 3/4 -2" nails. they go in about 1/2" and bend out the side. tried several brands of nails with same results. I got it at the flea market cheap but it was new in box. [at least it appeared to be]. it is also the oiled model so it's an older version. at least you got a warrantee if it doesnt perform. I shoot thousands of nails a year. the hitachi has never needed service and it has shot 100,000 nails at the least.

Fred,
Could it just be that you are driving much more brad? Mine stops at 1 1/4" (PC) so I don't really know. But I did read an interesting article on limiting blowout. I never noticed before but those brads have a wedged shape front so they tend to only blow out in a plane and if you make sure that plane is NOT in the same plane as the grain you can minimize blowout: http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/Nailers.htm

Good luck!
Salem

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred,
Could it just be that you are driving much more brad? Mine stops at 1 1/4" (PC) so I don't really know. But I did read an interesting article on limiting blowout. I never noticed before but those brads have a wedged shape front so they tend to only blow out in a plane and if you make sure that plane is NOT in the same plane as the grain you can minimize blowout: http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/Nailers.htm

Good luck!
Salem

nah...:nah: tried all the angles. the nose of this nailer doesnt look like it should be the way it is. it isnt modified so far as I can tell. looks like a design flaw but I realy dont know. it works fine with 1 1/2" nails or less fairly well but the longer ones dont work worth a darn. I have 5 or six brad nailers so I just use the one that does what I need at the time best. In softer woods I generally use the senco.[unlike the senco of old it's a little under powered] it does the neatest job.smallest hole to fill] the hitachi is the hardest hitter so I use it for hard woods. both bostich guns shoot the small brads fine so I grab whatever one is handy. I use the airy when I need to get in tight spots because it has no safety to get in the way [never had one] the PC was a nice gun. hated loosing that one. I think I left it on a job.:wsad: It was the cheapest too!:gar-Bi think I paid 25 bucks on clearance at the BORG. prolly should thin the herd but.... i like my nail guns. :gar-Bi just reread your post salem. sorry. it isnt blowing out the wood. the nail goes into the wood strait then bends and glows out the side of the guns nose. think glancing blow with a hammer when hand nailing. clear as mud?

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Fred I've had similar blow out issues to what you describe on a couple of occasions. Most were with my brothers older model Bostitch brad gun, and then there were the times I was accidentally running 18ga brads through my 16ga finish nailer. As far as running longer nails through a brad nailer, I have come to this conclusion... If I need to shoot longer than 1-1/2" nails I need my finish gun not a brad gun. Just my limited opinion, and most of my experience with nail guns was with framers.

Thanks for all the input folks I'll report my success, hopefully success, tomorrow after work.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred I've had similar blow out issues to what you describe on a couple of occasions. Most were with my brothers older model Bostitch brad gun, and then there were the times I was accidentally running 18ga brads through my 16ga finish nailer. As far as running longer nails through a brad nailer, I have come to this conclusion... If I need to shoot longer than 1-1/2" nails I need my finish gun not a brad gun. Just my limited opinion, and most of my experience with nail guns was with framers.

Thanks for all the input folks I'll report my success, hopefully success, tomorrow after work.

very true Matt. I rarely use the longer brads. only when I have to
most of the time the finish gun gets used for 2" or longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS