Where To Put My Clamps - A Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I've had several shops in my life and they've always been small. My present shop is no exception.
"You can never have enough clamps", right? Well in my case I've had enough to do what I've needed. My problem for many years has been "where to store all the clamps". They just took up way too much wall space, so I had them hung from the wall, in the corner, hung from the ceiling, etc.

I think I've now found the solution (picture 1), but I've filled it up already, so may be increasing it's size soon. Instead of putting clamps side by side along the wall, then more clamps in the corners, and then even more long clamps hung from the ceiling, I'm now stacking them out from the wall with a separate slot for each size. Now I can easily find them and find the right size when I need them.

The supports (see 2nd picture) need to be very strong because of the weight of the clamps, so I used 2 X 4 and 2 X 6, depending on the support space required for the particular clamps. To construct them I used biscuits, glue, and screws at every joint. The tail piece of the support is a piece of 3/4 plywood, also glued and screwed in place. It acts as a hook to engage the french cleat (horizontal 2 X 4) on the wall. The French Cleat is a rabbeted 2 X 4 that is anchored by #10 3" power drive screws (2) in every wall stud. A second 2 X 4 below it mostly acts as a spacer, but it is also anchored heavily to the wall. The support brackets are also screwed to the upper and lower wall 2 X 4 once the correct spacing has been determined.

Other misc. clamps were put wherever they fit. The 2 screw clamps are clamped to the window frame (good thing I never put trim on it). The larger C clamps are clamped to the narrow shelf under the large clamps (many C clamps in use right now as are 2 Bessey band clamps).

Charley

Attachments

• P1010021.jpg
    P1010021.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 443
  • P1010022.jpg
    P1010022.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 429

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Totally agree, the K-bodies store much better that way and don't eat so much wall.

clamps-1.jpg clamps-2.jpg

K

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 915

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
You hang them from the ceiling too? Oh, the 3 rd picture is upside down.:D I don't have floor space either, so I can't do it like you. That would be nice, though. I had a small clamp cart, but ran out of floor space for it and cut it up. My clothes pin type orange clamps are on the legs of my workbench.

Charley

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
You hang them from the ceiling too? Oh, the 3 rd picture is upside down.:D I don't have floor space either, so I can't do it like you. That would be nice, though. I had a small clamp cart, but ran out of floor space for it and cut it up. My clothes pin type orange clamps are on the legs of my workbench.

Charley

No, that was taken when I was turning the shop upside down looking for something.

K

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guys, both those clamp storage ideas would be great entries in the January shop storage contest. Please enter them

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Spring clamps are my friend. I see you have a good assortment, Kevin.

Hint... if you pull the plastic rubber pads off the clamp ends and file the burr off the inside edges they clamp better and won't mar your wood. Since they are chrome plated TB don't stick to them very well either.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Compared to you guys my clamp collection is paltry, nonetheless this is a useful way to store them out of the way...but within reach.
P1020035.JPG

P1020034.JPG

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
After seeing Kevin's pics, I'm suffering this evening from a bad case of clamp inadequacy.

Reminds me of a prayer I once saw in a friends shop; Dear Lord, whenever you decide to take me, if it's before my wife, PLEASE don't let her sell my tools for what I told her they cost.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
IMG_0082.JPGyou can never have enough clamps!! I found my best storage was on a wall not getting much use. I do have to relocate them soon as I have to move half my tools around, but will be in a similar setup

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Reminds me of a prayer I once saw in a friends shop; Dear Lord, whenever you decide to take me, if it's before my wife, PLEASE don't let her sell my tools for what I told her they cost.

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
You guys have a lot of clamps. And a lot of spare wall space. I have to stick my bar clamps in the corner and move stuff out of the way to access them. I put my spring clamps on a piece of clothes line rope I hung from a nail. Not very elegant.

Roy G

arcwick08

New User
arcwick08
I've got no photos, but when I had a basement shop, I'd clamp my clamps to the exposed ceiling/floor joists above my work table.
Just make sure they are on there good - a falling kbody does not a good hat make.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Some may remember this cart I built in 2006 (posted in 2009? The cart is sitting where my benchwork is now located)

The photos were of a primitive prototype I slapped together using MDF and 2X4- At the time I was awaiting the green light for a magazine article before I built the final version. The final version would have held many k-bodies and other clamps on the faces similar to Jazzflute's, and smaller band clamps, F-clamps, etc. in drawers underneath and in the space between the two slanted faces. The article never came to be and I never got around to building the final version of the cart because the prototype worked just fine and still does. If you have the floor space, a rolling cart that holds K-bodies with fixed jaw down, is a concept as valid now as it was then:

Clamp_Cart-1.jpg

P52800491.JPG

P52800501.JPG

This prototype can hold almost 70 K-bodies (when loaded with clamps it is heavy so needs good casters!)
K-bodies store nicely head down.
Can easily grab 2 - 3 clamps by the bar in each hand
No need to worry about the adjustable jaw slipping and pinching your hand
You can roll the cart and clamps right where your need them- no trips back and forth get more clamps from a wall-mounted rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS