Where is the best place to buy contact cement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
In the coming months I will be doing some laminating, and another North Carolina Woodworker member and I have discussed buying one/half to a gallon or so of contact cement and sharing it.

This item seems pretty expensive in the hardware store or the BORG's. Can anybody suggest the best place in either the triangle area or mail order to obtain a very good quality product for use with formica tops, etc?

Thx.

Scott

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Scott,

Try Wurth Wood Group in Raleigh. 231-6620. They are on Poole Road right outside the Beltline. They usually have both solvent based and water based. They are also a supplier of the laminates that you might be thinking of using.

Regards,

Bob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Scott,

Try Wurth Wood Group in Raleigh. 231-6620. They are on Poole Road right outside the Beltline. They usually have both solvent based and water based. They are also a supplier of the laminates that you might be thinking of using.

Regards,

Bob

Ditto on Wurth Wood group.

Still, contact cement is not inexpensive wherever you get it. I personally like the DAP brand and not the water based stuff. The fumes are WICKED.

If you screw up and don't get your piece in the right position, Lacquer thinner will release it. DAMHIKT.:rolleyes:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Agree on Wurth: Unless you can get a real brand glue IE Formica,wilsonart at the Borg than u r better off even paying a bit more to get professional brand. Do NOT use water base, ask for Non-Flam solvent based, much better off with that. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF FRESH AIR, USE FANS IF NEEDED, THE FUMES WILL MAKE YOU VERY VERY HAPPY,LOOPY, IN A SHORT time IF YOU DONT :gar-La;:gar-La;

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
webb-don would be a little cheaper but you will need to set up a business account. that is where wurth gets it. spray grade is a little easier to work with and stay away from the water based stuff.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Scott, I can't remember which brand Wurth is now selling. It's either Hi-Bond or Sta-Put. I like these better than DAP, or Weldwood. I'm starting a laminate job this week, and will probably buy a couple gallons. Should have some left over at the end of the job. I don't know what substrate you are using, but I like the Aruuco (sp?) plywood from HD. It has very few voids in the sheet, and costs only a couple bucks more than particle board from Wurth. Plus you don't have to drive across the world to get it. As for laminate itself, HD has better pricing than Lowes. Both are cheaper than the price I get at Web-Don, as they are "national account prices." HD now uses Service Plus for their laminate. It takes about five days to get it in. Go by HD in Apex and see Brenda. She is very good to work with. If you aren't doing a lot (less than a sheet), the spray cans are very cost competitive. Do buy a genuine contact cement roller if not using the spray.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
All, thanks again for the info.

Bruce, the upcoming project is reworking the outfeed and side tables for my tablesaw to incorporate a router workstation, spindle sander, and some undertable cabinets. I haven't decided upon the substrate yet; I've got quite a few pieces of particle board in stock that I was thinking of gluing up to make the top.

The overall dimensions will be around 8' - 10' square, give or take.

The project is not on the list for this month; just something that I'd like to do during the summer months.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I will second the Hi-Bond or Sta-Put in the spray cans for the amount that you are looking at doing. Stay away from the Wilsonart in the spray cans though DAMHIKT

James

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Many thanks again for the feedback.

I've been told that if you thin the liquid, you can spray it through a paint gun. Has anybody tried this?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Many thanks again for the feedback.

I've been told that if you thin the liquid, you can spray it through a paint gun. Has anybody tried this?

I would not. you can get spray grade. If I was going to spray contact cement I would get a cheap gun and dedicate it to that. but then.... I hate cleaning up spray guns.:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS