Where else can a person buy decent equipment other than Grizzly

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
So essentially when you called you were just wanting to make plans for the future shop. That may have been a bad idea to go that route because even if you could have gotten a discount on it that doesn't mean when the shop is finished that the discount will still be available to you. It seems to me right now you would be better off just looking around on the web and retail outlets for stuff that you like. Hopefully you refinance and can start building the shop once it goes under roof that's when I would start looking to buy which I think is what you were getting at. As for a shop that size you can do a pretty good amount the worst problem you will have is buying to much stuff and trying to fit it all in. I find that sometimes I would just about be willing to get rid of some of my equipment if that meant a little bit more room. So only buy what you think you'll be using often then as you need other items pick them up or you'll end up like me cramped for space. As for dust collection if I were you I'd go with some type of over head system for the bigger machines that'll be used often and have a few shop vacs handy for the rest. You could use a wall system but unless you have everything set up not just equipment but cabinets, shelving, and storage it'll be in the way and eating up a lot of space. As for the compressor I'd set up an enclosure in a corner with a filtered air source like a filtered vent lol that you can put it in and leave and run your hose on the ceiling with split fittings and you'll never trip over a hose and no matter where you go in shop you'll always have an air source. You could even run it to the other side so you could work on your jeep.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I can't say I'm particularly surprised that Grizzly didn't bend over backwards for you. Grizzly is like a WalMart of tools -- they are a high volume, low margin business. While a $3k purchase is a lot to you and I, it's nothing to them. I would not expect to go into WalMart and have much success getting 10% off...and wouldn't expect it from Grizzly either. While they do occasionally have sales and coupons, it's gonna happen on their schedule.

If you want to get a discount for making a $3000 purchase of multiple items, you'll have better luck at a store where a $3000 purchase would actually get someone's attention. Your local woodworking stores, Woodcraft, Klingspor, etc. But even there, the power tools are generally low margin. They make most of their money on the small stuff.

Chemeleon

New User
Matt
There's sometimes some minor differences, typically just cosmetic, and shop fox come with a longer warranty, but usually cost a little more which offsets the value of the warranty.

atun

New User
atun
Amazon?

w.png

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Ditto on the G1023RLX table saw. I love mine and it s accurate. I also have band saw...drill press and dust collector from Grizzly. I wouldn't pass on em just because they didn't give you a discount. Just my 2 cents worth

DWSmith

New User
David
I spent 20 years in the power tool industry. If a company can make a 5% profit on power tools, they are doing well. And if they can afford to put tools on sale of offer discounts anytime, you can be sure their mark-up is more than enough to compensate. This is one place where a higher price doesn't necessarily mean higher quality.

FlyingRon

Ron
There's always Laguna. Similar quality to Grizzley (and in fact other than white paint rather than green, some of the items like the lathes seem identical). I've had my run-in's with Griz as well, it's like pulling teeth to get them to fix THEIR screwups. They omitted a large part from my cyclone order (did you look through all the packing material, give me a break lady it's a 36" diameter by two inch steel disk.... it's not here) and the handles on the tenoning jig I bought from them were broken because they packed the thing crappy. Similarly my ShopFox (same idiots) has a break in the casting also because it was backed inadequately. Fortunately, I decided I could live with that rather than having to deal with the bastards. In fact, they lost out on one big order from me years ago mostly because they didn't bother to tell me when the lathe was back in stock. Of course, I've had issues with WWSupply (they reneged on a free shipping offer which essentially means I won't EVER shop there again all over their failure to honor the $40 on a $4000 order).

Lots of dealers selling tools if you're willing to go to Delta, Jet/Powermatic, SawStop, etc...

I bought my SawStop from Klingspor because they had one in stock and was willing to deliver it for FREE (everybody sells it for the same price but the fact that they'd run it over form Hickory for free made it cheaper). Got my Jet planer from WW Supply (the ones who screwed me on the shipping).

garymuto

New User
Gary
Baleigh Industries? I don't know much about them but you can learn more here.
http://wood.baileighindustrial.com/

What little I've read is that they are similar in quality to Grizzly. I think they are a sponsor on SawMill Creek. There might be a member discount there too.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just received an email with a 10% off entire order coupon from Grizzly. It is sent to loyal customers (at least that is what it says.) It is also single use and valid from March 7 to 24. Sorry I'm not including the code here as I likely will use it myself. Can't decide if I can make enough room for that 16" lathe I've been drooling over. If not the lathe, maybe a 12 or 15" disc sander.

Other prior purchasers have likely received the same email - I doubt if I'm that special to be singled out.

So, I guess if you want to see future coupons in your mailbox, buy something from them. They will come.

Of course I can't guarantee anything other than I'm a very happy customer of theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS