Where else can a person buy decent equipment other than Grizzly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbohno

New User
Rich
I called and talked to two different sales people at Grizzly and stated I was a member here and created a Grizzly account and wanted to order equipment to the tune of approximately $3k. Then I inquired about a 10% coupon I had heard of and she said "there aren't any that she is aware of". I then asked if I could speak to a manager and she " no they couldn't help me either unless I spent over $5k on two machines.

I replied " it must be nice to be able lose a potential $3k sale over a coupon, I explained I was hoping to use the coupon to offset some of the shipping charges" she didn't respond so I said Thank You and hung up.

I would love to have some of their equipment but it's almost a principle thing now on whether I give them my money. They can't be the only supplier of good equipment at a decent price???

Sorry guys just venting!!

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Rich,

Grizzly is not part of the NCWW discount qualified program. Several of our advertisers do sell woodworking equipment (Klinspor, The Woodworking Source, Carolina Woodworking Shop). Others may as well, but these were the ones that come to mind.

Steve H.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I wouldn't blame anyone at Grizzly. It's the nature of the beast. I cannot, however, offer alternatives for the cost over quality. IMHO, even if Grizzly sells you a lemon, their customer service department will make it right, which is why I have yet to find a comparable company with comparable prices. Other options would be used equipment that you get at a really deep discount.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
In my mind the only other option is craigslist (or other used equipment medium like NCWW classifieds). One thing to keep in mind is that it is probably more difficult for a company like Grizzly to be flexible on prices vs Powermatic for example because their markup is likely smaller so there is less "wiggle room".

My first choice is to try and find a large capacity tool on the used market. My next option is Grizzly. I don't think I even have a 3rd option for stationary equipment.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Because of the limited markup on most power equipment, I know that Klingspor's Woodworking Shop does not give NCWW DQ members a 10% discount on power tools either. I am not certain if that applies to The Woodworking Source. I have been happy with my Grizzly purchases -- get on their catalog list and watch for reduced prices in their flyers. I have driven up to Muncy several times to buy (after a thorough drool session walking around the biggest tool showroom on the planet) and that avoids the freight fees.

They are worth their prices, most are well made and their customer service is very good. Just my .02

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
They are worth their prices, most are well made and their customer service is very good. Just my .02

+1. I was in the same boat last month as you today. After repeated calls to Grizzly to get some kind of discount I bit the bullet and paid full price and I have not looked back. Their equipment was worth the price and the quality out of the box was spot on. I could not ask for more. If they have what you're looking for either pay the price or wait for a sale someday. I'm glad I ordered from them and will again in the future.

Red

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
I like grizzly haven't had to deal with customer services but from some of the shops I've been to they make pretty good stuff the only thing I own of that brand is a planner but it was bought second hand. It is kind of messed in my opinion that she didn't even look to see if there were any discounts that would be available to you. A member above said something about not wanting to drop prices because of quality ehhh well that's true but I'd rather drop prices a little and sell more of the item making up for a slight loss of profit margin than have a possible customer hanging up and sending that money to a competitor company. If someone really wants quality I agree they should have to pay for it but I also believe that some companies are a little high on the horse when there are better alternatives out there.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Even with the recent 15-20% off sale for Powermatic/Jet, you would still pay 15-20% (or more) than you would for a Grizzly.
I love my Grizzly machines and no one can/will beat their prices.

batk30msu

New User
brent
Klingspors does sell Shop Fox (which is grizzly's store brand). You would not get the 10% but you would avoid freight.

I do not know if Klingspors charges freight on special orders.

Also, some (not all) Grizzly equipment (and Shop Fox) are available on Amazon and qualify (with prime) for free shipping.

example:
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0715...=UTF8&qid=1393462062&sr=8-13&keywords=grizzly

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W170...UTF8&qid=1393462151&sr=1-20&keywords=shop+fox

I would not give up on Grizzly because they did not offer 10% off. They are sort of like WalMart. The price has been pushed so low percentage discounts are often offered.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Also, some (not all) Grizzly equipment (and Shop Fox) are available on Amazon and qualify (with prime) for free shipping.
example:
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0715...=UTF8&qid=1393462062&sr=8-13&keywords=grizzly

I would be very surprised if you could actually save money on a stationary tool Grizzly product by purchasing on Amazon vs. buying directly from Grizzly. The G0715P is $1200.55 on Amazon with free shipping or $894 through Grizzly including shipping. Amazon has to get their cut, so it seems unlikely it would be cheaper, maybe there are some exceptions to this....

GlassOnion

New User
Marshall
I'm pretty much a craigslist or nothing guy myself, but my dad has several Jet tools (planer and bandsaw at least) and has been quite happy with them. I have no personal experience with how they compare to Grizzly.

Chemeleon

New User
Matt
I don't think they've done so recently, but a few times in the past, amazon had pretty big discounts on some shop fox machinery - that's how I got my edge sander and cyclone. Want to say cyclone was about $450 off, and edge sander somewhere around $600ish off. It can be helpful to check the graph for a product on www.camelcamelcamel.com to get an idea of how much the price has fluctuated on amazon lately.

As to grizzly coupons, they're quite rare, maybe once a year or less on average I'd guess, and I've never heard of them offering a discount otherwise. They have their tent sales as well, but that's a lot of driving in the hopes of getting a good deal on a scratch and dent machine. Thing is, even without an extra discount, they tend to be cheaper than everyone else's price, even often when the competition *is* running a sale of some sort.

The best deals by far, are old industrial scale machines at auctions around the area; I've picked some up for what I'm fairly sure was less than the scrap value. Downside is you need a way to move machines that are usually in the 1500-3000 pound range, and some source of 3ph power - either your shop wired up, or on a smaller scale, a vfd or rotary converter.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
What is the better alternative in this situation?

Buy a different brand there are tons of them out there that offer services and products that are on par with Grizzly and even better. He could buy one direct from a retailer, or buy one used if he wanted to go that route. The quote is kind of out of context to what I was saying as I wasn't implying that grizzly is bad or a lesser quality. It was more of a statement in general about quality and prices of stuff but if he would like me or any of us to find a better product or price he would have to let us know what it was he was buying in the first place. So I can't really help as far as that goes he could be buying a 3grand garage door opener for all I know lol

Rbohno

New User
Rich
Buy a different brand there are tons of them out there that offer services and products that are on par with Grizzly and even better. He could buy one direct from a retailer, or buy one used if he wanted to go that route. The quote is kind of out of context to what I was saying as I wasn't implying that grizzly is bad or a lesser quality. It was more of a statement in general about quality and prices of stuff but if he would like me or any of us to find a better product or price he would have to let us know what it was he was buying in the first place. So I can't really help as far as that goes he could be buying a 3grand garage door opener for all I know lol

I never did say what I was purchasing. I am going to sell my Hitachi C10fl on Craigslist so I will be in need of a table saw, 14" bandsaw, joiner, planer, bench top 4" belt grinder and am totally confused on the direction for dust collection. There is almost too much information out there. I would love to add in there a shaper and a nice compressor but I will have to see how close I can stay on budget for shop cost.

The table saws Grizzly offers have me in a bit of a debacle- I would love a 1023RLX but a a G0715 wouldn't eat up half of my $3k tool budget.

We should close on the refinance of the house so the wife said if I put new carpet upstairs I could build a small shop on the back of our property. So building a 20' x 30' shop but the gabled roof will be 20' x 42' in total size ( 12' of the end of roof will be up enclosed for my jeep). So it will be like a carport/garage and if I ever want to close it in I can add another 12' to the shop.

Chemeleon

New User
Matt
If you're building a shop, you've got a fair bit of time to collect things I'd think? At least a couple weeks if you hire someone to build it, possibly a couple months if you build it yourself, so I'd spend that time watching craigslist closely. If nothing else, then when you do order brand new, you're comfortable in saying there's no better options, and the delivery guy can wheel things right into your shop on his pallet jack for you.

Of course, I can't say I listened to my own advice while I was building mine (though it was a *very* good deal from grizzly) - I had a crated table saw sitting under a tarp in my yard for 6 months :). Got to say though, it held up fine, one small spot of light rust on the table, smaller than a quarter was the only sign of its time outside.

Rbohno

New User
Rich
I have been cutting trees for a few days getting the area cleared then plan on renting a backhoe the first couple of weeks in March to work on putting in two 20' sections of pipe to cross one drainage ditch and one little creek ( only has minimal water flowing when it rains) and to also dig out 30 - 40 small stumps.

While I am doing that will order the roof joists (2 gable ends and 19 centers 24"OC). I am not working right now so will be able to do all of it with my retired neighbor. We built my garage/man cave in about 4 weeks once the foundation was complete. But we were working on it 40-50 hours week.

As I digress, you are correct, it probably won't be finished till May

This is the area it's going, a ways from the house so I don't disturb the wife.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121

Rbohno

New User
Rich
One more shot where the shop is going. Last one posted here because I am getting way off topic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 119

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Just want to say that I just got the G1023RLX table saw and you will love it if that's what you end up getting. Great saw and everything was dead on right out of the box. Good luck with your shop and what ever you purchase for equipment.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS