Where can I go for 20" drum sanding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Franke

New User
Alex
When I make chess boards I end up taking my trusty hand held belt sander to them to flatten them out. The results are okay, I guess, but I think I should really be using a wide drum sander. Problem is, I can't drop $1k+ on something that won't even fit into my garage...

So anyone know of any place in the Chapel Hill area that would let me run a chess board through a couple times a year for a reasonable price?

I guess another option would be to build a jig for the router, but I'm not convinced that the results would be much better...

Thanks!

chess037.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Not in CH, but not too far away is Travis Porter shop (or the shop of dreams) He can handle the sanding. You might send him a PM to see what his rates/availability might be. Just go over there in a sterile anti-contamination suit, because WGD is heavily virulent there.
It might be the second hot spot according to the CDC.

Dave:)

JohnW

New User
John
Alex,
I found a method for doing what you are looking for.

Go to Klingspores, in the back to the discount cut-offs sandpaper bin. Pick out a few pieces of medium to coarse grit wide belt paper, biggest you can find, all the same grit and thickness. Then attach them to a flat surface (I used contact cement on an old counter top) Rub your chess boards back and forth on them. This is not for high production work, but it gets the job done. I've flattened several checker/chess boards this way and it worked pretty well.

Be careful not to put too much pressure on the outside edge of the board. Also make sure the sandpaper is all glued down. If some is left loose, it can rub a roundover on an edge where you don't want a roundover.

Here's one last picture I'll leave in your head. Get a toilet plunger and attach (suction) it to the middle of your board...use it for a handle.....I'll just let you guess if this is a joke or I actually tried it.:rotflm:

I'll never admit it.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Is it edge grain? If so, have you tried a hand plane? I made lots of cutting boards recently and they were a snap to plane the edges smooth and that was going cross-grain (sides of end grain boards). Follow that up with a card scraper and it would be smooth & shiny!

T

toolferone

Alex, I can do 24" drum sanding. PM me if you need some help. On a side note I live right behind the Klingspor store in Raleigh (in case you need somethng from them).

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Alex, Hill Country Woodworks is on old Greensboro highway about 7-8 miles out of Chapel Hill. They have rented me time on their widebelt sander (and Mark operated it) for $40/hr. I had them sand thru three different grits on four 48 x 18 inch frames and two solid shelves 18 x 38 inches. That's six pieces with two sides each which meant 36 passes thru the sander. Total cost was $10. Call 968-3044 and ask for Mark or Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors