When do YOU apply finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Hi all!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

I tried searching for this, but didn't find much info...

When do you apply finish? Dye? Stain? Sealer?

Mostly I am talking about pre-assembly vs. post-assembly.

I often wish that I had stained a piece before assembly (granted, I do this wishing after I have assembled it!). I am always afraid that I will degrade the effects of glue.

What rules do you follow? and what do you feel are the benefits of your approach?

Thanks,

-jamie

timf67

New User
Tim
I find it easier to finish most of the pieces before assembly. That way I am working with a smaller area and i can usually keep the surface i am working on horizontal. By taping/masking off joints (tenons, mortises, dadoes, etc) you can finish a piece and still get good wood to wood joints. Also, depending on the finish any glue squeeze-out is usually easier to remove. Having said that, sometimes I am to impatient to wait until after finishing before assembling!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Generally speaking, I wait until after assembly - for the most part.

Exceptions would be the tops for tables and drawer fronts. There, I would finish both the tops and bottoms of a table top, as well as the drawer boxes (w/clear shellac) and the drawer fronts. Then slap the top onto the aprons and fasten hardware to the drawer fronts.

Another exception would be if I have too close quarters for a brush (ie slats with 1/2" spacing etc.. There I wipe on my finish (protecting my joinery - ie tenons, mortise's, dowel holes etc with blue tape) then do the sub-assembly before my final finish.

Wayne

jamie

jamie
Senior User
I am even wondering if, in some situations, it would be better to stain before machining-- mortises, tenons, domino holes.

I guess that could lead to a heap of trouble though...

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I am even wondering if, in some situations, it would be better to stain before machining-- mortises, tenons, domino holes.

I guess that could lead to a heap of trouble though...

Yep, too many opportunities to ruin your finish!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I always finish before assembly when possible. Especially with Arts & Crafts style pieces and lacquer, all the little corners and crevices will break your hands trying to rub out the lacquer, not to mention the time and aggravation saved. Some things are just about impossible to finish assembled like the ottoman below- note all the little corners around the end pickets and through tennons (disregard the dust and scuff marks, we've been using it for a couple of years). As timf67 said, just tape-off the glue surface areas to keep finish off, the finish will diminish or even prohibit glue penetration. Wax the finished areas before assembly and this will help keep any glue squeeze-out from sticking, remove the glue when it's still wet with a damp cloth.
Picture_004_edited.jpg

View image in gallery

jamie

jamie
Senior User
I always finish before assembly when possible. Especially with Arts & Crafts style pieces and lacquer, all the little corners and crevices will break your hands trying to rub out the lacquer, not to mention the time and aggravation saved. Some things are just about impossible to finish assembled like the ottoman below- note all the little corners around the end pickets and through tennons (disregard the dust and scuff marks, we've been using it for a couple of years). As timf67 said, just tape-off the glue surface areas to keep finish off, the finish will diminish or even prohibit glue penetration. Wax the finished areas before assembly and this will help keep any glue squeeze-out from sticking, remove the glue when it's still wet with a damp cloth.

I can see your point- btw, that ottoman is very nice. I love A&C style, but my wife isn't fond of it (so, I don't make any)

So- when you finish something like that-- do you do two or three sides then rotate? (for the square pickets, for example)

One of my BIGGEST problems is rushing things.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
This is an interesting thread to me as it is a topic I struggle with. For me, I normally finish after assembly and I am not real fond of it thinking is there a better way.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I can see your point- btw, that ottoman is very nice. I love A&C style, but my wife isn't fond of it (so, I don't make any)

So- when you finish something like that-- do you do two or three sides then rotate? (for the square pickets, for example)

One of my BIGGEST problems is rushing things.

I hang the pieces up with wires, you can put screws in the (future) glue areas to connect the wire to, and after it's assembled the holes won't show. By doing it this way you can spray all sides, just don't be over-zealous and get runs and sags in the finish. I have to constantly watch myself not to spray too much because I tend to rush things also. Kinda like Travis, finishing is my least favorite part of the project. So anything I can do to make it easier and faster I'm all for.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
This is a very interesting thread. For me, I guess it depends on what I'm making. If it is something where all parts are accesible after assembly, then I finish after assembly. If not, I finish before. I'd never really thought much about the finish ruining the glue/joints. Luckily, I've finished after assembly on almost everything so far. :eek:

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I like to partially finish before assembly by staining and applying a wash coat of shelac.I mix shelac from the can with an equal amount of alcohol to seal it. This keeps any glue from ruining the stain. After assembly I clean up any glue ( the shelac help to keep it from sticking) and finish with my choice of top coat. any damage done in the assembly can usually be corrected easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS