What's the strangest thing you've ever made or been asked to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
This should be interesting. I recently made a new handle for one of my wife's favorite pots. I carved it from hickory and painted it with heat resistant paint to match the others.

Let's see what you have made that is "off the beaten path". Oh, and please post pictures if you can.

Here is the pot handle. (The original matched the one on the left)

SANY0007.JPG

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
In 1969 I made a handle for a machette from an old ax handle, still have it.

Made a set of stained glass windows for a Catholic Church.

In 1987 I made a handle for an antique pencil sharpener out of 1/4 inch brass sheet stock and a small piece of ebony. Not sure where it is.

Turned a spoon to fit a certain cup.

Turned a small ebony box just to see if I could.

Turned a plastic disc to make the brake lights work on a 1984 Nissan pick-up.

Made cabinets to fit lab equipment.

Made a firing pin for a Snake Charmer .410 shotgun from a drill bit with just a bench grinder and a pair of pliers.

Hard to remember all the stuff.
Gee, just about everything I made was strange.

This is not a fair question. :rotflm:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
A wooden scroll saw powered by 1/2 motor, a crankshaft and rod from a old B&S law mower engine, pillow block bearings and a turn buckle for blade tension. I cut out a lot of stuff on that saw including wooden earrings which my wife still wears sometimes.

timf67

New User
Tim
Other than the "banana" pen I posted this morning, I would say that it was a jig I made for a friend. It was a jig made of UHWM to hold the ceramic rotary "piston" seals that he bought for his '80's vintage RX-7 that he uses for SCCA racing. The seals he bought were too big and he needed a precise way to remove material without having to pay someone to machine it for him. I warned him that my ww tools didn't have the accuracy that he needed, but he is stubborn like me...:rotflm:

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
For my first gator hunting trip I made 2 harpoons with the darts and cables.I made the shaft and driver head from galvanized pipe and ground the darts from stainless steel bolts.If I bought them from a supplier it would have cost me about $60 each.I made them out of materials I had at my shop for free. This pic is close to the two I made
harpoon_kit_300x225.gif

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
When my oldest daughter got married, my youngest daughter as me to build a carousel so she could easily decorate a cake she made. Used two round pieces of MDF with kitchen cabinet lazy susan hardware. Worked great!

My second oldest daughter wanted three stackable trunks for her sorority. When stacked up they served as a presentation table.

A cornhole game ..... what the heck are these used for?

Sixteen shadow boxes for a local church.

I don't think there will will too many of us who can beat Sapwood!!! Couldn't resist, Roger!

electrolysis.jpg

Wayne

DaveD

New User
Dave
Protective cages for kitty litter boxes so the dogs couldn't eat what was in the kitty litter. Cages had to be nice looking, easy to open and collapse so they don't take up much room when stored/moved.. Eventually did 3 of them. All different.

I do a lot of 1 off things. Half are in wood. Half out of metal.
10160001.jpg

Trog777

New User
Trog
Probably a vertical wheel-of fortune prize wheel for a local Martial Arts School. Actually turned out pretty good.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Twin Bearded Dragon Cages that would look good in the living room -

Lizard_cages_complete_002.jpg

And a Zhu Zhu pet housing complex -

ZhuZhu_infestation_008.jpg

Not to mention at least 3 chicken coops....see a trend here :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Dave:)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
My mother had a favorite pot to cook pastry in. She used the pot to cook the pastry in and then she would carry it to church diiners. After my mother died my wife got the pot and the handles were bad so she asked me to make the new handles. They work great. I have also made knobs for one of her other favorites pots and a handle for a wisk.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
about 20 years ago my wife hit a dear with her 76 skylark. se asked if I could fix it so I made a new grill out of white oak. coated it in poly and it was still functional 8 years later when I sold it to a friend who wanted it . wish I had some pics cause it looked cool!:gar-Bi

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
This is probably the strangest thing I've made that I have a photo of. This was actually one of my first projects that I did a few years ago. It was originally supposed to be a combination of shadow boxes for pictures (each compartment was built to exact size), yet they were all connected. The shadow box thing never really happened and it ended up being a shelf for me that I put right above my dresser. Once my wife and I moved in together I think I threw it out though. Or maybe I left it for one of my old roommates.... :eusa_thin

piccubes.jpg

It's just pine from the BORG, unfinished.

I'll tell ya though, I've built some things out of metal coat hangers and duct tape that would blow your mind. :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

SubGuy

New User
Zach
about 20 years ago my wife hit a dear with her 76 skylark. se asked if I could fix it so I made a new grill out of white oak. coated it in poly and it was still functional 8 years later when I sold it to a friend who wanted it . wish I had some pics cause it looked cool!:gar-Bi
That's crazy!

A wooden scroll saw powered by 1/2 motor, a crankshaft and rod from a old B&S law mower engine, pillow block bearings and a turn buckle for blade tension. I cut out a lot of stuff on that saw including wooden earrings which my wife still wears sometimes.

And wow!

I made two cornhole board sets for BIL and his brother.
I also made a 8 ft huge rolling easel that looks like this

http://bengrosser.com/easel/

hmm many other things too.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'll tell ya though, I've built some things out of metal coat hangers and duct tape that would blow your mind. :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:[/QUOTE]

I always used PVC for those kind of things......:rotflm:
nevermind!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I did a handle for a pizza cutter wheel since the ones we'd get would always break. Its still in use.
A back banding for a '56 mini Morris convertible that one tacks the canvas to and fastens to the car's sheet metal body.
A rosewood splined spinner for taking up the slack in cassette tapes that would unravel.
A drink holder for my son's early 90's era BMW.

just posting to get in on this rather interesting and amusing thread.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
How about a sled in the kitchen?

SledInKitchen.jpg

Turtle Plaques?

IMG_3858.JPG

A squirrel?

CarveSquirrel.jpg

Acorns?

IMG_2152.jpg

Antique Santa?

IMG_2633.JPG

I made one of those game wheels for a TV station in Tuscaloosa back in the early 80s.

Pin striped the hub caps for a 1959 Rolls-Royce Bentley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS