What You Can Do With a Day Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
P10100088.JPG

Boy, I just love a day off and with my wife out of town on family business what's a guy to do except turn, turn, turn.

Today's work is a piece of Sycamore cut from a tree on my wife's family farm in Maryland. The tree was downed in a storm this past spring. For those wondering about DNA drying, this piece was turned 4 weeks after roughing and a DNA bath.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is a nice bowl, I could not do that with a week off:rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If the pic was only bigger -

P101000614.JPG

So we all could see the beautiful details like the under cut rim and the thing on the top...I don't know what to call it. How did you do that???
Great picture BTW, very appealing backdrop :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

JRD

New User
Jim
Dave,

Thanks for the help. I've not been able to figure out how to make the thumbnail larger.

To answer your question, the thing on the top is just a small recess cut into the rim. I sealed the wood with a coating of poly to seal the wood, then used a Sharpie to "paint" in the black line.

Jim

J

jeff...

My guess is that's a hunk of sycamore and the black line is some kind of ink - pretty but round -
fighting0040.gif

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
My guess is that's a hunk of sycamore and the black line is some kind of ink - pretty but round -
fighting0040.gif

Yes very pretty, nice work.:icon_thum

And round it must be, I have never seen a square or flat tree they grow round, and if you cut them flat then the wood will cup, twist and curl, cut them round you must:gar-La;

J

jeff...

Yes very pretty, nice work.:icon_thum

And round it must be, I have never seen a square or flat tree they grow round, and if you cut them flat then the wood will cup, twist and curl, cut them round you must:gar-La;

Round it once was but flat it shall be

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job on the bowl. The picture setting is the perfect way to enhance the job you did on the bowl. :eusa_clap

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
That is a really nice bowl Jim. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

What tool did you use to do the lip/undercut?

JRD

New User
Jim
The undercut is something of an illusion.

Since I don't own an Oland tool or have the skills to make one, I just cut as tight an angle from the tool rest as I could, then used the 40 grit gouge to refine it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS