What type of wood do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knb226

New User
Kelly
Well after a few weeks of not being able to turn because of heat and whatever else I had going on and what not. Well I still haven't been able to turn in a few weeks but I did finally get some blocks roughed out from some green wood that I came across where they were doing some clearing close to my job. I also found a piece one morning when I was picking up some plans for work. Like I said earlier I got a couple of blocks roughed out in hopes to turn next week or so. Plus I cut the end off of another piece of wood with some checks and it looks allright, hopefully I can turn a bowl or something. Also I was wondering does anyone know what type of wood I have? And if anybody wants and wood feel free to come and get some as I am sure I won't be able to turn all of this or use all of it as well. I am really looking forward to trying something with the wood in the fourth picture, to me it looks like it has a lot of potential, also the second picture and the last picture is the same block just a different view. Anwyays can anyone tell me what kind of wood I've got? Thanks.
IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg
IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
DaveO is our tree expert. If he says red oak be 99.99% sure that is what it is.

Red Oak is open grain. You will need a good supply of sanding sealer but that should make some pretty turnings.

knb226

New User
Kelly
What is a good sanding sealer and when do I apply. Do I need to apply it before I place in a bag or wait for a couple of weeks after the wood has dried after turning.

knb226

New User
Kelly
My votes for Red Oak - does it smell like puke? If so then I'm 100% sure it's Red Oak.

I concur with Dave and Jeff - spalted red oak.

:rotflm: to the puke comment, I wouldn't really call it a puke smell more like a paper mill. And what does it mean by spalted oak, is that what the other colors/marks are in the block?

What is a good sanding sealer to use and it is food safe?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
:rotflm: to the puke comment, I wouldn't really call it a puke smell more like a paper mill. And what does it mean by spalted oak, is that what the other colors/marks are in the block?

What is a good sanding sealer to use and it is food safe?

As wood decays a process takes place whereby enzymes break down the cells. If you mill it at the right time, you will have beautifully colored boards that are still firm enough to be workable. If you wait too long, you have rotten wood!

Spalted wood is prized for it's vivid colors and variations.

knb226

New User
Kelly
As wood decays a process takes place whereby enzymes break down the cells. If you mill it at the right time, you will have beautifully colored boards that are still firm enough to be workable. If you wait too long, you have rotten wood!

Spalted wood is prized for it's vivid colors and variations.

Good to know, sounds like I may have some rotten wood then?

knb226

New User
Kelly
DaveO is our tree expert. If he says red oak be 99.99% sure that is what it is.

Red Oak is open grain. You will need a good supply of sanding sealer but that should make some pretty turnings.

What is a good sanding sealer, I did a search on Woodcraft and there were several options, just wondering which is best with price and quality, and what would be a good supply, how much woudl I need? Also wondering is it food safe? Thanks!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
What is a good sanding sealer, I did a search on Woodcraft and there were several options, just wondering which is best with price and quality, and what would be a good supply, how much woudl I need? Also wondering is it food safe? Thanks!

I use dewaxed shellac as a sanding sealer. Re food safe, I'd be sure that the item was 100% sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS