What to do with oak flooring cut offs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
I "scored" some oak flooring cut offs from a guy I bought some stuff from. I figured I'd see if anyone here had some cool ideas on what to use it for (besides oak flooring lol)??

I'm leaning towards "resawing" it into half and using that for some small box sides and maybe a few pieces of 1/4 oak ply for the bottoms...

Other great ideas out there? Y'all are usually pretty creative!!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Depending on size of the cut offs, you can make trivets, canted wine bottle holders, tea candle holders, if you have some contrasting wood segments to glue up the possibilities can be endless. If you resaw, do you have a scroll saw then you can make almost anything with the resawn pieces. Look at the photos in the gallery - there are tons of ideas floating in there - some are downright inspirational.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I used some of my longer red oak flooring pieces to make a picture frame for a chalk board in our pantry and another one for a cork board. I planed the finish off the top side and the grooves off the bottom side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
When we built our house we had several bundles of white oak flooring left over. It's 5 1/4" wide, random lengths, and a full 3/4" thick, but with grooves on the back. I plane the grooves off, leaving 1/2" thick, and use it for drawer sides when I build case pieces.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I'll rip up 2-1/4" flooring for hidden mortise and tenoned web frames for casework. I can usually get 1-3/4" wide x 3/4" thick strip stock. The grooved side will go to the hidden side, obviously. Makes for a very strong and durable frame. Saves ripping up wider boards for thin stock.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I have used them for a nifty covered porch table (for a friend). I cut to all the same length (about 24"), cut a small 45 degree chamfer on the mating sides and framed in with some other scrap wood Put on top of some old wood crates (cleaned up and finished) and she was fairly happy.

pviser

New User
paul
I got a pile of those once. I glued them up into 4" X 3" X 3' posts which I used for legs on my assembly table. It required a bunch of time, glue, and milling. I saved no money (as I knew ahead of time), but it was satisfying to save the wood from the landfill. Greener yet, the wood was saved from decomposition or burning, thus keeping the carbon safely locked up with the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS