What to do with all the projects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcottrell

New User
Lance
I love this site. I can ask these newbie questions and actually get great, helpful information. It is fantastic.

Ok, so as a new woodworker getting into the hobby, I have contemplated where this is going to lead and wanted to get other's take on it. So far, I really love woodworking :eusa_dancand have several projects in mind that I want to eventually make for my home (bed, coffee table, nightstands, etc). The question I have though is, what do you do after you've made everything you need or want? I can see a lot of money tied up in the hobby and once I've got my fill of things, what else can I do to continue in woodworking?

Has anyone hit that point and what did you decide to do?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Lance, if you live long enough to make EVERYTHING you really want to make, that's when you start making stuff for OTHER folks! Your proficiency will probably be way up there and you'll be close to EXPERT!!

THEN, you start making stuff and GIVING it away! Now, if you run out of stuff to do, call me. I've got LOTS of stuff you can do!!

:rotflm:

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I have a project list that will keep me busy until 2060 :rotflm:
Lance, the way it worked for me was I started out thinking I would try a few projects, then I thought of more projects requiring more tools, then people wanted me to make stuff for them... some even paid for it. But, of course, I needed more tools :eusa_danc. This has continued for about ten years and now I have more projects than I can ever hope to get to and I of course need more tools :gar-La;. Buy the tools.. the projects 'll keep coming.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Upgrade, I have many furniture projects that I made early into this hobby that I could do much better now.
Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I wouldn't worry too much about running out of projects. Assuming you have a job that eats up most of your free time, you sleep every night and occasionally waste time eating, showering, grocery shopping etc., you'll probably run out of things to build for your house by the time you're 84 or so.

Of course, you could always make toys for kids in the neighborhood, cutting boards as Christmas presents etc. If you're really strapped for ideas, go build your own kitchen cabinets. And don't forget, shop projects take 2-3 years just to get started.

I know I will NEVER have enough time to build everything I want to build. And that's a good feeling.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think your problem is an underactive imagination. If you would subscribe to 2 or 3 woodworking mags you'd find plenty of ideas to try. Otherwise, just post your tools in the 'FOR SALE' section here & we'll be glad to relieve you of your worries.:gar-La;
Actually, the potential wealth of ideas & projects grows exponentially with one's skills & abilities. Remember how you get to Carnegie Hall? "Practice, practice.":eusa_danc

T

toolferone

I love this question. I am sure that you will find that it all works out very nicely. There are days in the shop that I am not really building anything but still enjoy being in the shop. Remember young grass hopper it is not just the end of the project but the journey there that should be enjoyed.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Upgrade, I have many furniture projects that I made early into this hobby that I could do much better now.
Dave:)

:rotflm: and how do you propose to get the old stuff out of the house? LOML wont part with nuttin! hmmm.. maybe a bigger house?:rotflm:

lcottrell

New User
Lance
I'm actually full of things I want to build, so I've got the imagination thing down. I do subscribe to a couple of woodworking magazines, which just fuels my imagination for things to build. I just obviously can't build every neat thing I see or I'd be in trouble with the wife for filling up the house. Maybe I am just underestimating the amount of time it will actually take me to complete something as substantial as a bed or a set of nightstands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS