what to do now with hardwood floors

Status
Not open for further replies.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I bought and installed unfinished hardwood floors (pic coming soon). I sanded stained and applied 4 coats of poly. Now what do I need to do? I'm thinking I may need to put down some type of wax but I have no idea what kind?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Polyurethane should need no wax. Walk on it. Set furniture on it. Enjoy it. :thumbs_up

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
No wax. If you ever need to refinish the floor, the wax will get in the way. It also gets very dirty over time. Of course, this floor must be imaginary....

:worthless:

:)

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
No wax, however, the normal regimen is to wait a week before putting the furniture back and before walking on it. After a week, put the furniture back putting little carpet pads under the feet. Only walk on it in stocking feet for the next 2-3 weeks. Oil based poly varnish takes 3-4 weeks to fully cure and develop full protective qualities.

weaves

New User
Weaves
Up to what grit did you sand this floor before finishing? any treatment between coats?

thanks.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'm no expert on finishing, but I would think that waxing a hardwood floor would make it extremely slippery. :swoon: <--- literally

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
Up to what grit did you sand this floor before finishing? any treatment between coats?

thanks.

I sanded to 220 with grit palm sander, after I used a big floor sander, and lightly sanded with 220 grit in between the 1st and 2nd coat and the 3rd and 4th coat.

I finished the last coat on wednesday night and we just put our couch and chair back on the floor, on some carpet pieces, Sunday night. We are going to leave as little on the floor as possible for the next couple of weeks. WE had to get that stuff out of the kitchen and we are tired of staying at my Mother-in-laws.
:gar-Bi

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the pictures from the camera. I'm really proud of the way it looks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS