What lumber to use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I am building a bench and cabinet on my back deck for storage of the grill, hand tools, etc. The overhang on my house is 42 inches since its an A-Frame style. The cabinets and bench are only going to be 24 inches. It should be pretty protected. So I'm trying to figure out which lumber to use. Do I need to use pressure treated lumber/plywood?? I am planning on using plywood for the skin. I will painting the cabinet and put deck boards on the bench.

Thanks
Wes

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't think that you will need to use PT ply, but I would use a plywood with an exterior rated glue. Sealing it with paint will go a long way to protecting it, but a non-exterior rated glue in the ply could de-laminate over time due to the humidity.
I found some 1/2" ply at Lowe's that was rated for exterior use in protected locations (under paint) it has held up very well in a few chicken coops I've built.
You also might consider using T-111 siding. It should hold up very well with a good painting and might add a nice design element to the project.

MTCW
Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
this was last weeks project. i was going to make a separate post but since you asked? they are black locuse so rot shouldnt ever be a problem but stability might!:gar-La; too soon to tell..... they are not finished but will get some cedar colored UV stain to match the pool house. the end doors are fixed but removable easily if need be.
doors1.JPG

J

jeff...

OMG Fred that is beautiful - ah black locust has been know to not rot for up to 70 years (in the ground) that is. I really don't think your going to have any problems with rot Fred. :gar-La;

I was going to suggest white oak because it's highly rot resistant and pretty common - but black locust is the ultimate in rot defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS