What is this worth?

Bill J

Bill
User
I am helping the Bull City Woodshop (The Bull City Woodshop | Durham) with selling some of their surplus tools. I just came across this hand held Porter Cable spindle sander. It is a model 121 and looks almost new. A quick Google search shows none for sale anywhere and it looks like they ahven't been made for awhile. so..
A) What (if anything) is this worth?
B) does any one want this?

Attachments

• 2024-02-08 11.31.58.jpg
    2024-02-08 11.31.58.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 126
  • 2024-02-08 11.32.14.jpg
    2024-02-08 11.32.14.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
  • 2024-02-08 11.32.36.jpg
    2024-02-08 11.32.36.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 126

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
At the low end, a new Wen model runs about $50, and a new Triton is listed at $130. Say $70 new for the porter cable, allow 40% off, ~$40 for the one you are showing? That's not an offer, just an opinion.

Bill J

Bill
User
At the low end, a new Wen model runs about $50, and a new Triton is listed at $130. Say $70 new for the porter cable, allow 40% off, ~$40 for the one you are showing? That's not an offer, just an opinion.
Thanks! I was thinking of asking $50 so this is good data

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
My thought was to compare it to the bench model - looks as if it could be mounted on a stand. When I saw Bob's post $425.00 nineteen years ago . . . well

I suppose that if one needed a hand held Oscillating Sander they might pay such money.

But fifty dollars had me thinking it could replace the bench mounted versions.

Alas, I have too many tools looking to attract a little rust.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I think I need to put that price in proper perspective.
Here's an abbreviated 2004 MSRP price list. What the street price of these tools was even back then was significantly lower. The common 690 router listed for $302.00. I seem to remember that the shelf price was close to 1/2 of that.

pc2004.jpg

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I am helping the Bull City Woodshop (The Bull City Woodshop | Durham) with selling some of their surplus tools. I just came across this hand held Porter Cable spindle sander. It is a model 121 and looks almost new. A quick Google search shows none for sale anywhere and it looks like they ahven't been made for awhile. so..
A) What (if anything) is this worth?
B) does any one want this?

I'd pay $40 for that, have you tested to make sure it turns on?

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I think I need to put that price in proper perspective.
Here's an abbreviated 2004 MSRP price list. What the street price of these tools was even back then was significantly lower. The common 690 router listed for $302.00. I seem to remember that the shelf price was close to 1/2 of that.

View attachment 226026
RIGHT! I bought the 690(?) with both bases and a blow molded cast for under two hundred at Lowes or Home Depot, nah, Lowes. I would have remembered not paying three hundred for a router. In fact, I think it was less than two bills by a significant bit - 'cause I have two sets (two motors and four bases).

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Then again, if you can document a four hundred dollar new value, and you've got the original box and you're rich enough to benefit from a charitable deduction - there's always the Salvation Army Thrift Store ot the Habitat ReStore.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The way the numbers read, the sander should be worth 1.4 times what a 20 year old 690 router would sell for. If the used routers sell for $50.00, then the sander would be fairly priced at $70.00. Naturally, with any 20 year old portable power tool, condition is everything. Quiet running, tight and smooth, $70.00 would be a good value. If it sounds like someone rolling around a ball bearing in the bottom of an empty coffee can, then not so much.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Ask 50, but I would take 30. The WEN is actually better than most of the low end as it has a longer stroke.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS