What is pin cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have about 70 bf of what I was told is pin cherry. I had never heard of pin cherry. It is very light in color and higly figured. The boards are 4/4 and 10" to 12" wide and 8' to 12' feet long. The wood is very dense and really nice looking.

I decided to go to the web and see what I could find out about pin cherry. It is discribed as a tree less than 10" in diameter and about thiryt feet tall. The wood is discribed as being of no commercial value. There is just no way this wood came from this kind of tree.

I would appriciate any info on pin cherry.

Learned it is also called ornemental cherry. I guess it depends on where it comes from and what they call it in a particular area. It really is nice wood.

This is my first post and I have not learned how to post a picture yet. Will try to add one latter.

Last edited:
J

jeff...

Pin Cherry ----> WildWNC.org : Trees : Pin Cherry

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Pin cherry growth is rapid, and it is not uncommon for trees growing on better sites in the central Appalachians to reach 20 to 25 cm (8 to 10 in) in diameter in 25 years (25). Pin cherry rarely persists in eastern upland hardwood forests in the United States for more than 35 year"[/SIZE][/FONT]

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]In general, pin cherry is not used for lumber and is considered a noncommercial species. It occurs in abundance, however, over a wide range of sites and produces large quantities of biomass in a relatively short time. The species has been described as well adapted to intensive management and chip harvesting on short rotations for fiber and fuel"

Thanks
[/SIZE][/FONT]

dozer

Mike
Sounds like you got a bad batch of lumber, just drop it by my shop and I will make something out of it and let you know weather the wood was any good to work with :rolf:

I would like to see some pictures of the wood. I don't think I have seen any pin cherry before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS