What is best method for storing short logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear

New User
Bear
Hello everyone,

I have a question that surely has been answered before but I could use an answer quickly if someone would be so kind.

I have some maple, approximately 20” in diameter that I would like to cut into two pieces for bowls. My question is, how should the wood be treated being that I cannot get to them right away to rough them out? I am using Anchor Seal, should just the end grain be treated or should all places without bark also be treated? Should I store them on a trailer with a cover over it or would they be better in the basement?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ted

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
If you totally seal them with AS they will stay very wet for a long time. Which would probably be best, if you plan on rough turning and then letting them dry some more.

Best of luck with them!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Seal all areas without tight bark. Otherwise, maple will crack in from the sides as well as from the end. If the bark is tight, it is best to leave it on. If it is loose or has bugs under it, strip it off and anchorseal everything.

Go

flyrod444

New User
Jack
A.S. the end grain as the others have said and keep it covered with a tarp helps also. I like the silver ones since they don't get very hot and keep it moist around the logs as well.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS