What I did with that $275 per sheet Bamboo Plyboo.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Hey folks,

Here was the previous thread that described how I procured this Bamboo plywood.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50205

So the Plyboo was very flat, stable, dense, and took a 1/8" radius easing bit just fine with minimal precautions against tearout.
Due to the cost of this stuff I'm pretty sure I measured at least 5 times before making any cuts.
I have an ~ $50 delta decent blade on a 3HP grizzly and it moved through that blade with ease and only a minimum of burning.
I did a rough cut of drawer fronts to within 1/8" and then a final cleanup passes of 1/16" or so.
IIRC, I did not put the rectangles through a final jointer pass but rather went straight to the carbide 1/8" roundover to ease all edges and then finally some some light ROS to finish off.
Since all edges and faces are eye pleasing to me there is no edge banding needed anywhere.
Waterlox applied to raw bamboo.
IIRC. there are about 3 brush coats of Waterlox plus 2 wipe on/off coats. No stain of any sort.

The cabinet is about 9.5' wide so I could not match bamboo grain across the entire width of unit. You can probably tell that the left and center stack come from one sheet whereas the right stack is from a second sheet. Contemplated a random placement but that didn't look as good in my opinion. There will be a desk that somewhat obscures the right stack so I went with this layout.
P1060648.JPG

On the front edge of main countertop I did a glue up for double thickness.
You will notice here that the top and bottom cores are bookmatched by simply cutting 2" wide strip off the countertop width and matching it back up to the main top surface. There was quite a bit of contemplation as to if I should indeed book match it like this or to shift the lower strip left or right a bit and make them unmatched. I chose matched. The vertical separator is a simple a 3/4 x 3/4 strip that I edge biscuited to the plywood carcass to make the front more interesting (IMHO) and to also allow me more adjustment play room in fudging the 9 drawers up/down/left/right. The Pyboo had no issues with biscuit joinery and Titebond 2.
bamboo2.jpg

The top (and bottoms) of the drawer edges naturally reveal the core banding when you open drawer.
You can also notice what the sides of the drawer fronts look like. Not near as interesting but certainly pleasing enough.

bamboo3.jpg

Full color RGB LED lighting was inlet into undersides of display dividers of the cabinet.
I placed LED tapes into 1/2" wide x 3/8" deep aluminum U channel and then screwed those U channels into dados on the undersides.
This picture is taken from low angle, normal height people don't see LED elements.
The colors are distorted due to camera and lighting and such.
The cost is about 40$ for LED tape and power supply incuding remote control with infinite color control and customizable presets.

Full Blue

Full Red

Full Green

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
There was quite a bit of contemplation as to if I should indeed book match it like this or to shift the lower strip left or right a bit and make them unmatched. I chose matched.
bamboo2.jpg

Good choice, IMO. That looks really nice...the alignment of the banding draws the eye to it.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks great! Drawers look like machine dovetailed baltic birch plywood (?) I do that a lot too. Much easier than getting solid wood in the right size and thickness.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Looks great! Drawers look like machine dovetailed baltic birch plywood (?) I do that a lot too. Much easier than getting solid wood in the right size and thickness.

I'd like to say I built them myself but I ordered them through drawerbuilder.com
Have probably ordered 4+ dozen through all the built ins I did around the house.
I've got in the habit of specing them way over built with 5/8" BB ply + 3/8" bottoms and DoveT all around front and back.
These are double wide legal size and 21" deep so they will be holding potentially a lot of weight.
I normally get them built for Blum UM's but the deeper file drawers have some 300# rated file folder slides.
They have ALWAYS been +/- 1/32" in all dimensions.
Pricing is fair (IMHO) but the shipping from CA can get steep unless you order a bunch.
They come packed with super heavy ship cardboard and the only damage I've ever encountered was a forklift hole punched completely through a ccarton once. They sent a replacement within days.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW! What snappy looking work!

That should increase the value of your home significantly as well as draw many escalades.

Well done!

Wayne

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You should try them yourself sometime. I use an inexpensive HF jig on a little stand made of 1/2 BB. I did upgrade to a Grizzly template guide. While setup is easily under $100. I usually route backs too, once the tool is set up, routing time is a few minutes per drawer. The only thing tricky about BB is tearout. I back cut it first which seems to help a lot. The biggest reason for the stand is to elevate the jig above the bench and to give longer support to the pieces to get them lined up in the jig.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I wonder if u could make your own out by re sawing bamboo flooring glued to plywood.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ncguy77

New User
Jim
I wonder if u could make your own out by re sawing bamboo flooring glued to plywood.....

I rolled that through my head for awhile but it would be very hard(or impossible) to get the eye candy edges.
Maybe for some glued up drawer fronts where the bamboo is the center panel.
Bamboo as the center for some darker frame could look pretty sweet.

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Tons of dealers on Ebay

search = 5050 5m rgb 300 led smd light strip

5050 style, 5 meter long, 300 LEDs per 5M
get the 44key remote control
5Amp 1V power brick per 5M

I get waterproof style which diffuses the LED a bit and doesn't make the light source so point like
Adhesive back (that I don't trust too much)
My install was definitely a DIY whre I had to ...
1) Cut the tape to particular length
2) Wipe off adhesive on back to expose 4 contacts R/G/B/12V
3) solder on quick disconnector pigtail cable
4) cut aluminum u channel to proper length to fit in routed channel of underside of shelf
5) put down thin double sided tape in bottom of U channel (purple)
6)lay in LED tape (black)
7)twisty tie the LED tape in place (every 6 inches or so) just to be sure (Don't trust the adhesive) (blue)

So this labor intensive process probably gets down to about 5$ a foot but it has the advantage to provide light from corner to corner versus some kind of fixed length solution.

For a more turnkey solution you can go here ==> http://www.elementalled.com/
A couple years ago their offerings were much less. They seem to add more every week but I haven't bothered to go through it to see what they have recently.

WOW...technology moves forward...
Googled..... Aluminum Led Rigid Strip Ultra Slim12vdc Bar
This definitely wasn't around when I looked a couple years ago (or at least I didn't find it)...
All complete for 4$ a foot ($12 for 1 meter) ===> http://www.724light.com/393inch-sup...m-p-901.html?zenid=936hif8g86qicbfsa2orf0mml0
That looks really sweet. Since I plowed a channel on the underneath of shelves that are built in you obviously have to plan well in advance to make sure the plow is proper depth and width. Have your light bar in hand before you plow. Even though these are 1M long you should be able to cut these bars down in increments of approximately 2 inches. There are spots on the LED tape that you can safely (electrical wise) cut though without damaging the function on the one side (with the connector). If you're handy with a soldering iron you can solder on a RGB pigtail onto the cutoff section and use that LED stick also.

5cca07e9f6dda34bd638a8525e3a9967.image.1000x664.JPG

Cut it at the point where you see R/R G/G B/B

e1763228d4bd99e87d236be058dad2e3.image.1000x664.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors