What do you use on cast iron...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
for rust control? I've just been using Johnson Paste Wax. Don't know if this is good or not. I haven't had the tools long enough to really judge. Just curious what y'all use. Thanks!:)

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Johnson's Paste
Wax is very popular for cast iron. It does a good job of protecting the metal but also keeps the surface slick so the wood slides easily and predictably. Both are important to safety on table saws and jointers. You also can uswe the Johnson's on planer tables and just about anywhere wood slides on metal (or laminates really).
The important quality of this wax is that is has no silicones in it. Get a little silicone on one machine and it migrates all over the shop and onto the wood making finishing a real problem.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I also use Johnson's paste wax. It does not protect against standing water.

I've seen rust on a waxed surface when I opened the shop rollup door after a rain and a few drops fell onto my jointer. I didn't see the water and the next day there were rust colored circles where the drops had fallen.

It takes several coats to build up a protective surface. I probably apply 5-6 coats on new equipment, waiting a day or so between coats. After that "break-in" time, I apply a coat every 3-4 weeks.

Chuck

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I bought a big brick of parafin at AC Moore craft store. I just rubbed it hard all over the CI top and then buffed it out with a soft cloth. This was a year ago and no rust yet in my basement shop.
I think equally as important as how you treat the top, is attempting to control the humidity in the area where your tools are stored. I attribute my complete lack of rust more to my dehumidifier and low humidity than to anything that I could treat the surfaces with. I realize that sometimes this is impossible though.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use Bruce's (Junquecol) formula:
1/2 bar of Gulfwax pariffin (FoodLion with the canning supplies ~$2 for a 4 block package) grated with a cheese grater. Disolve this in 8oz of mineral spirits in a spray bottle. Spray liberaly and let it set up overnite. Buff with a towel. Repeat a few times and after that when you think about it. Store it in a heated area or it will turn to paste pariffin:eusa_doh:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I used Johnson's last year (shop garage, no climate control), and fought rust all year. I cleaned it a month ago and rubbed a block of paraffin on it, let it sit and buffed it out. Didn't seem too hard so went over that with the Johnson's. So far, it is holding up much better, but I'll let you know how it is with good ol' stinky sweat in the next week or so:lol::lol:.
I have found that:
If you cover it, make sure you have a cover that "breathes". Plastic, etc, will trap condensation under it and speed the rusting.
If you let a piece of green wood (BW in my case) lay on it overnight, you will have a great rust image of it on the saw top the next day (The reason for the cleaning a month ago!!)

Good luck
Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors