What compressor oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Hi,
This seems to be the forum that my question may fit.
Got the Makita mac700 compressor. The manual says to change oil every 300 hours or 3 months.
Now the question is, what compressor oil to use? and where would you get it?

Also, if you happen to have a similar compressor, do you replace the oil drain bolt? and if so,
where to get the replacement?

Appreciated.

Pinwu

DaveD

New User
Dave
I use whatever compressor oil the borg's sell. You may even find it at the local auto parts store. Then again changing oil is more of an afterthought for me. Typically the 'bolt' should really be a tapered pipe plug so just use it over.

Be sure its oil for an air compressor and not the AC compressor in a car.Don't know the difference but better safe than sorry.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
any non-detergent oil will do. hydraulic oil is a good choice. Make sure it is non-detergent.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you can't find hydraulic oil, use power steering fluid or automatic transmission fluid.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Both Lowes and HD sell a 16 oz bottle of compressor oil. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a spout, and cap. So I robbed one off a bottle of "Smokey Mountain Sweetener." Fits perfectly, and if LOML doesn't find out, I'm good to go. (Actually she saves the empties for me to use as glue bottles, and "sauce" bottles.) Lowes is about $0.50 cheaper than HD on the same bottle of oil, both distributed by Cambell Hausfield. One is Kobalt brand, and the other is Husky brand.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I own a Energair 1 60 gal twin that uses mineral oil that I buy at the drug store

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi,
This seems to be the forum that my question may fit.
Got the Makita mac700 compressor. The manual says to change oil every 300 hours or 3 months.
Now the question is, what compressor oil to use? and where would you get it?

Also, if you happen to have a similar compressor, do you replace the oil drain bolt? and if so,
where to get the replacement?

Appreciated.

Pinwu

Pinwu - the Carquest in downtown Apex usually has compressor oil in stock; both standard as well as synthetic. They are good folks to do business with, too.

Glennbear

Glenn
I see that others have given you sources for the oil however I will add a caution. If you follow the "more is better" school of thought and add oil beyond the level that the manufacturer recommends you will end up with oil coming out of the breather fitting and coating everything in sight. :BangHead: By having the head tillted when refilling it is possible to overfill DAMHIKT. :embaresse

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Be sure to follow Glen's advise. It is better to slightly underfill than it is to overfill. James

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I think you can find Campbell-Hausfeld compressor oil at Walmart. Definitely at HD.

Go

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Here's an interesting discussion on one of the other forums I monitor related to this. Opinions vary. It appears that some are seeing less current draw on cold start-up with multi grade synthethic oil (Mobil One 0-30) instead of 30W and are not seeing any problems with carbon build up. Amsoil makes a straight 20W synth compressor oil too that would outlive most homeowner shop users.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1739344&page=1

I used the Campbell Hausfield compressor oil in mine when I got it 3 years ago. Doubt I have 3 hours on it but will probably switch it out when I get a roundtuit.

FlyingRon

Ron
My compressor says use either Air Compressor oil or any full synthetic 30 weight. Frankly, it just doesn't use that much oil. A quart lasts you a good long time.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Here's an interesting discussion on one of the other forums I monitor related to this. Opinions vary. It appears that some are seeing less current draw on cold start-up with multi grade synthethic oil (Mobil One 0-30) instead of 30W and are not seeing any problems with carbon build up. Amsoil makes a straight 20W synth compressor oil too that would outlive most homeowner shop users.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1739344&page=1

I used the Campbell Hausfield compressor oil in mine when I got it 3 years ago. Doubt I have 3 hours on it but will probably switch it out when I get a roundtuit.

Thanks I'll check out the bob's site (I went there from time to time, for the car stuff).

The reason I asked for oil recommendation was that, in the mac700
manual, it says to change oil every 300 hours or 3 months. It's now
a bit over 3 months, even if I had < 20 hours with the compressor
on.

Regards.

Pinwu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS