What a shock I got today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I've previously posted here that last Tuesday I had surgery on my thumb as a result of a TS accident. I had my first post-surgery visit with the surgeon today. When the bandage was removed I saw two stainless V-shaped pins sticking out of the flesh of my thumb. The bottom of the V was outside the thumb and the two legs were inside the bone and flesh. I did not know they were there and to say I was shocked would be an understatement. The dr. said that 3/4 of the joint was gone and he used some of my bone chips, cadaver bone, and a putty like substance to fuse the joint. He fused it with a slight angle towards the index finger in order to help give me a better grip. The pins were inserted to stabilize the joint so it wouldn't move up/down or side-to-side during the healing process. There was a very small part or the joint and a small amount of flesh holding my thumb together after the accident. The pins will be there for at least 6 more weeks. I asked how they would be removed and he said they would jerk them out with a pair of pliers. I told him he had better wear a full suit of armor that day because I wouldn't be responsible for my actions. He laughed and said that there would be very little pain and it would be very brief. Well......seeing (feeling) is believing. I don't look forward to that. I go back tomorrow for either a cast or heavy splint so that there will be no possibility of accidently causing something to move before its healed.

I hope I haven't bored anyone with all of this. Hopefully, my experience will help others in causing them to be even more careful than they already are.

A guy in Ohio mailed me the complete unisaw blade guard and all the mounting hardware and it is suppose to be delivered tomorrow. All he wanted was the cost of shipping ($13 plus some change). The complete guard and hardware was $235 on the Saw Center site. My thanks also go to Nick (NAAPP1) and John (Skysharks) who offered me the guard off their contractors saw. There are some really good people on this site. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap Thanks to all who have expressed their good wishes and concern.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I for one am not bored with your post!:eek: a little shocked though.... It sounds like you will be dealing with this for quite some time and I certainly can sympathize with it. Ive seen this done before on a relative who shattered his wrist. hope you get this behind you as quickly and painlessly as possible. Keep us posted. Hang in there! there is light at the end of the tunnel.

RayH

New User
Ray
Stuart,

You have made a believer out of me. I'm putting the blade guard back on my saw.

Good luck for quick and complete recovery.

Best wishes,
Ray

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Stuart, your post definitely didn't bore me. I almost fainted though from the description. :swoon: I wish you a speedy recovery and you've definitely motivated me to be careful. :thumbs_up

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Not bored at all, actually find your posts very informative. That is coming from me, someone that has nine and one half fingers and still takes too many chances with saws!!! You have really made me think, Thank You!!!!

clowman

Clay Lowman
I remember when my wife had pins in her wrist ( 3 of em ). She asked the doctor if it would hurt when he took them out. He said, "No, I won't feel a thing". We got a good chuckle out of it. When she did get her pins pulled out, he told her to look the other way. I watched when he did it. He talked to her and told her he was just touching them to see if they were loose. He had removed 2 of them before she even noticed him touching them.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW Stuart!

I sure don't envy you. Perhaps a couple of Percoset's before removal will be all that it will take.

(I had chest tubes for a collapsed lung a couple of times three years ago and when they took them out they gave me a double dose, told me to look away and cough.:elvis: Next thing I knew they were gone!)

You hang there, keep your chin up and I am sure that all will go well.

Thinkin' 'bout ya!

Wayne

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I bet that was a shock, you'd think that would have been information they gave you after the surgery. :eusa_thin I hope he's right about the removal of them though and it doesn't cause you too much discomfort. Still pulling for you to have a speedy and uneventful recovery.:icon_sunn

Good on the guy for hooking you up with the blade guard. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Is he just a fellow woodworker helping out or is he a business? I'd be interested in throwing some business his way if/when possible for his good gesture if he is.

Brian.

Lamar

New User
Lamar
Stuart

Appriciate the posting, Its a good thing, as we all work with power tools and concern ourselves with fellow woodworkers when injuries acure and thier recovery. It also serves to remind us of what can happen in a fraction of a second or less.

As far as the pins...I know the first time I had my ankles reconstructed and they cut the cast off, it scared the crap out of me when I saw those pins. But turned out they wheren't near as bad as my dread of them.

Wishing you the best, Lamar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors