well, haven't found the mortiser i need...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjkitt

New User
Joseph
but i just returned from the "shop" in the backyard after nearly ruining one leg of a padouk bench I am trying to make...darn router. so here i was looking for a commercial hollow chisel mortiser online and came across this site. i'm sure i will find a wealth of info from more experienced and wiser woodworkers than myself but until then, the tearout continues!

MikeF

New User
Mike
Welcome to the site Joseph. I have a Delta Mortiser and it works very well, but from what I have read the General International 75-050T seems to be the machine of choice. I'm sure other NCWW's will chime in with their experiences.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the sawdust pile, Joseph. Happy to have you on board -- I do not own a dedicated mortiser, but have used the mortising attachment on my drill press. However, I've found that I prefer roughing out the mortise with an appropriate-sized Forstner bit and then cleaning it up -- and fine tuning the final tenon fit -- with a sharp bench chisel. Not as sophistocated, but it sure produces the correct results.

By the way, if you scroll down to the very bottom of the page while reading this thread (or any other threads), you will find links to other threads that relate to the thread you are reading. There are other posts on mortisers, too -- just use the forum Search tools.

HTH -- Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Welcome. There was an industrial mortiser for sale on irsauctions.com located in Lexington, NC. I think it is still up and the last price I saw was at $350.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Joseph welcome to the site. I'll put another vote in for the Delta mortiser (with the CI table). Unless you plan a production run of many mortises, it should do what you want. Upgrade the chisel that you use most often (for me it's the 3/8") because the stock chisels aren't the best.
So what knd of bench are you making out of Padauk?? I'm sure it will be stunning, I would love to see some pictures if you get a chance.
Dave:)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
McRabbet, thanks for the heads up on the link at the bottom of the page. I didn't know it was there. Also welcome to the new guys. Happy to have you here. Lorraine

sapwood

New User
Roger
Sorry about the mortising problem, but glad you discovered NCWWer. It is a wonderful resource. :icon_thum

I recently purchased the Delta DaveO referenced. Haven't really had a chance to use it . . . but couldn't resist the price at the time. You're welcome to stop by and check it out. I live just across the Orange/Durham County line near Southpoint Mall (arrgggh!).

Roger

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Welcome to the sawdust pile :eusa_danc I have the HF mortiser and It works OK I do not use it allot. I am with Dave buy good chisels in the sizes you use the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS