Weekend Projects...Whadja Do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I made two picture frames (soft maple/walnut spline) and a 18x24x2 inch cutting board (maple, walnut, cherry, purpleheart). Admittedly the cutting board only took two hours start to finish. :lol:

Pics below.

Chuck

Attachments

• cutting board 002.jpg
    cutting board 002.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 303
  • cutting board 008.jpg
    cutting board 008.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 292

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The picture frames were straight lines/angles...TS, bevelled cuts. I didn't have a safety problem but would like to know how to get the best control of narrow stock on a bevel rip. The pieces were all scrap so they were fairly short before I started cutting.

I guess I learned that I need to learn to work smarter with narrow stock on the TS.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great looking frame and cutting board :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I just plugged along on my sofa table and aired out the pop-up camper :-D
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Nice work. For my weekend, I made 2 shop cabinets for the new garage.. umm.. I mean new shop.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
really nice looking cutting board and frame! I will have to pick up some nice wood on my next trip to Raleigh to do the same sort of thing. lots of family birthdays coming up in June, for lots of cooks! (some of them just think they can cook, sorta like me and woodworking ;) )

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking projects Chuck.:icon_thum Since your cutting board only took you 2-hours from start to finish I guess you didn't leave your glue-ups in the clamps very long. What is the average time everyone leaves there glue-ups clamped before you start the next milling process?

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
D L Ames said:
What is the average time everyone leaves there glue-ups clamped before you start the next milling process?
With yellow glue, one hour for me. Unless I need that clamp for something else.... then 30 minutes will do. :lol:

Nice looking projects, BTW. For a "safe" bevel on thin stock, you might try using a sled with a bevel on it, and run the stock though your planer on that sled.

gad5264

New User
Grant
The teaching staff at my wifes school has lost two long term teachers in the last two years. They are putting to gether a memorial garden to honor these teachers and asked me to build them an arbor for the garden. Our local 84 Lumber donated and even delivered the lumber to my house on Satruday morning. I decided to put it together in pieces (sides, top and stringers). One of the other teachers husbands is going to bring his truck over on Tuesday and we will go set the posts and return on Wednesday to install the top. Here are some photos of the progress so far.
StackDelivered.JPGSides4.JPG
SidesTop1.JPGSidesTopStringers.JPG

Last edited:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Chuck,

That cutting board is so pretty, I'd be afraid to put food on it... I certainly wouldn't let anyone take a knife to it. Nice work.

Ray

cpowell

New User
Chuck
D L Ames said:
Great looking projects Chuck.:icon_thum Since your cutting board only took you 2-hours from start to finish I guess you didn't leave your glue-ups in the clamps very long. What is the average time everyone leaves there glue-ups clamped before you start the next milling process?

D L

You got me there! :lol: :lol:

Total elapsed time was 24 hours. Shop time spent working on project was two hours. I let the first glue-up (two sets, each half of the board) dry overnight, planed the surfaces and glued the halves together. I let that glue dry for four hours then cut to size, routed edges, installed legs, sanded. Two coats mineral oil.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
gad5264 said:
The teaching staff at my wifes school has lost two long term teachers in the last two years. They are putting to gether a memorial garden to honor these teachers and asked me to build them an arbor for the garden. Our local 84 Lumber donated and even delivered the lumber to my house on Satruday morning. I decided to put it together in pieces (sides, top and stringers). One of the other teachers husbands is going to bring his truck over on Tuesday and we will go set the posts and return on Wednesday to install the top. Here are some photos of the progress so far.

Looking good so far. That's a great thing to do in remembrance of those who have devoted their lives to teach our children.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pics!

skeeter

New User
Charles
Chuck, the picture frames turned out nice and I really like the cutting board. The different woods look really good together. Too pretty to cut on.

Grant, the arbor looks great. I think the memorial garden is a great idea. Good job, post finished pix. Hats off to 84 Lumber for getting involved!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Well, since you asked. Added a top shutter to this window, curtains kept fading on this window. Faces south. Made from scrap shelving.

Shutter_thumb.jpg

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Pictures to follow once everything is done, but I spent the weekend:

- Building a picture frame
- Putting the finishing touches on a flag case
- Milling wood for a display case
- Sanding / applying finish on my first turned object (a bowl)!
- Setting up my drill press
- House hunting with the wife.
- Thinking about how I need to build a clamp rack (can you hear the crash, boom, bang?):eusa_doh:

Glad to be back at work. I need the rest:rolf:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Matt said:
Pictures to follow once everything is done, but I spent the weekend:

- Building a picture frame
- Putting the finishing touches on a flag case
- Milling wood for a display case
- Sanding / applying finish on my first turned object (a bowl)!
- Setting up my drill press
- House hunting with the wife.
- Thinking about how I need to build a clamp rack (can you hear the crash, boom, bang?):eusa_doh:

Glad to be back at work. I need the rest:rolf:

I didn't see any mention of SLEEP.

Not surprised after seeing your list!:lol: :lol:

Chuck

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Check out my photo gallery re:Maypole at: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=468

Since May 1 is a holiday in Germany and technically a weekend day, this is what I did this past weekend. Although I was just a bystander and fellow bier drinker and documentarian (sp?) it was still a big project. Met some real woodworkers. They don't deal with piddley little 2X4's here!
Amazing what you can do with some levers, a few freinds and a bunch of bier!
Enjoy!

Mark and Mary Ann ...back in Zurich from the Swiss Alps tonight

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's cooll, thanks for posting the pics. What do they do with it once its up??

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS