Website recomendations (update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Lately, I've been talking to a lot of people about remodeling, commission projects, etc and I think it would be very useful to have a website where I can showcase some of my work. I'd prefer it to be free, but wouldn't mind paying a little for it. Another thing is that I'd prefer to not have to download a bunch of software to do it as my laptop is on its last leg. :nah: The ideal site would have plenty of freedom as far as layout goes. I'd like to do it similar to my photo gallery on NCWWer, where it is categorized into certain types of work (remodeling, woodworking, wood turning, etc). Do any of you have any recommendations?

Thanks,

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Re: Website recomendations

You might want to try Facebook.

It gives you photo gallery for your work, and lets you talk about your services. Plus, you can share updates to people who follow your page. Another nifty feature, I think, is customers could post feedback to your page that helps further your rep.

A tie in to twitter is probably a very nifty thing too.

As for a photo gallery site, I've had luck with Photo Bucket. Others like Picaso (Google). Pickle is, unless you pay them, you get less memorable URL's.

If you want an actual website, I believe you can go through Yahoo (used to be Geocities) or Amazon for some options. You'll also likely want a URL, http://www.trentmasonWrocks.com :)

I'm not endorsing it, but we use Go Daddy for our name service. I also used them for my own group.

Jim

sushinutnc

New User
Mike

Lately, I've been talking to a lot of people about remodeling, commission projects, etc and I think it would be very useful to have a website where I can showcase some of my work. I'd prefer it to be free, but wouldn't mind paying a little for it. Another thing is that I'd prefer to not have to download a bunch of software to do it as my laptop is on its last leg. :nah: The ideal site would have plenty of freedom as far as layout goes. I'd like to do it similar to my photo gallery on NCWWer, where it is categorized into certain types of work (remodeling, woodworking, wood turning, etc). Do any of you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
The first thing that came to mind was WordPress. It's designed primarily for blogging, but it looks pretty flexible. I have never used it myself, so I have no idea how user friendly it is. I thought you might be interested in the blogging aspects of it-- blogging and woodworking projects fit well together if you are interested in describing your woodworking process, in addition to just providing a gallery of work. People could follow you through a project, as you are working on it (if that interests you). ;)

http://en.wordpress.com/features/

Also, I'll ask some of my much geekier employees for their opinions.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

I use wordpress exclusively for a church website I do. I will not post a link here due to site policy. Trent, if you want to see what wordpress can do I'll send a link via pm to you. There is also Microsoft live.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Wordpress sounds interesting, but I don't think I'm going to share a ton of details about the process of the work. More like a general description of a project and share some photos. :eusa_thin

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

Look toward Microsoft Live. It is totally free and user friendly.

jpr28056

New User
Joe

I too used godaddy.com to buy the name but am going to use weebly to set up a website just for showing stuff off. It's free for a basic site and seems to be pretty easy to set up.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Check out google sites. Free, easy, and flexible. If you have a domain name you can use Google Apps for Sites, Email, Calendar, etc.

Travis

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown

Check out www.webs.com It is free and has an ad banner at the top of your pages. Lots of free space and pages for photos. It is fairly easy to set up. They also have 3 levels that you can upgrade to for a fee. Does not require any space on your laptop. No software to load.

If you want to see a site that is set up, PM me for the link.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

If you are looking for photo album type of stuff and don't want to have to mess with building a whole site you can use something like Photobucket.com or Flicker.com both are very good photo sites and allow for Descriptions on each of the photos.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I went with TracyP's advice and set it up on Microsoft Live. Thanks buddy. :eek:ccasion1

It is definitely a work in progress. One thing that bothered me is that I couldn't do much with the header and that there didn't seem to be an option to enlarge photos when you click on them. Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I'd like to build one myself at some point, but for now, it will be good to have a link to send folks while I'm looking for work. Thanks so much for looking and for all of your recommendations! :notworthy:

http://trentmason.com/

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Looks like you're off to a great start, Trent!

I wish you the best of luck.:icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Now that was quick. Nice looking start.

Thanks Tracy. :embaresse I worked ALL DAY LONG on this. Pretty much woke up, sat down at the computer and just got done (for the day). I look at it and there are plenty of things I'd like to change or add. Looks like I've got two shops now. :gar-La;

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I went with TracyP's advice and set it up on Microsoft Live. Thanks buddy. :eek:ccasion1

It is definitely a work in progress. One thing that bothered me is that I couldn't do much with the header and that there didn't seem to be an option to enlarge photos when you click on them. Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I'd like to build one myself at some point, but for now, it will be good to have a link to send folks while I'm looking for work. Thanks so much for looking and for all of your recommendations! :notworthy:

http://trentmason.com/

Looks good!:icon_thum:icon_thum two thumbs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS