We did it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Early this morning, around 10:30, Toddler (Todd) came over to my shop to start work on a simple jewelry box. I offer to help him make one after he shamefully asked where he could buy one :eusa_naug :eusa_naug
Well, by 7:30 this evening we had put together a basic box with a re-sawn and book matched Mahogany top panel, Lacewood sides with keyed miters and a divided tray in the bottom with a half sliding tray on top. There was a few design modifications, and one big "Oh Crap!!" :eusa_doh: but we have all our fingers , and a nice handcrafted jewelry box. The box still needs some final sanding, and the application of a finish (shellac and lacquer), but that is home work for Todd.
It was a long day, but a fun one, and I really enjoyed meeting another NCwoodworker, and new friend.
Of course Todd's wife probably won't let him come over and play any more because he was VERY late for dinner :lol: :lol:
Pics for proof :-D

Todd_001.jpg

And one of the inside, still needing to be velvet lined

Todd_002.jpg

Dave:)

Last edited:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Great work Todd Dave and a special :icon_thum for helping a fellow woodwork out of a jam :eusa_clap

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Very generous Dave :icon_thum
Looks like you 2 had a fine day.
And Todd came away with i nice box:-D
We will need more pictures when its finished

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That is way cool. No progress pics? How do we know you actually built it today?:lol:

No time for progress pics during the day, we barely took a break for lunch. If it wasn't for the dry time of the panel glue up we wouldn't have stopped at all.
I am sure that Todd will vouch for the authenticity of the one day build, after he finishes driving an hour back home 8-O

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi All,

Dave is a great guy and built a beautiful box today with minimal interference from me. All fingers are intact and the box is lovely. I got home just under an hour ago and am eating some left overs now.

Dave has the sequence of building a jewelery box down so well and moves from one step to the next so seamlessly that I think I'm going to have to review the day's work several times and write down the steps to see if I remember them all. It's going to be funny next time when I glue the sides together and forget to put in the top and bottom first. I am sure I would have done that today but luckily Dave was running the show! I did, however, learn a ton about woodworking.

I promise to post more pics once I finish it a little more. I'm also planning to router the edges round, although I'm terrified of tear out and ruining it. I'll go slowly and take tiny cuts!

Thanks again Dave, truly a pleasure to have met you and gotten to work with you today!

Todd

PS) My wife was very very impressed, so I'm not in any trouble at all. Dave, on the other hand, didn't even get to keep the box. He may have to sleep in the shop if he doesn't promise to make something equally nice for his wife and daughter ;)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Couple of questions.

is the bottom shelf compartments all the way across? Does the top shelf lift out or slide over? I really like that guys, I can't wait to see it finished.

Dave... can I have one? I'd love to come see how you do some elements in that box.

Oh oh oh... I think you made out better than anything you would have bought there. Dave is good!

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Couple of questions.

is the bottom shelf compartments all the way across? Does the top shelf lift out or slide over? I really like that guys, I can't wait to see it finished. The bottom compartments are a insert that is glued into the box after it glued together. The outer perimeter creates a ledge where the top sliding (and lift-out removalable) 1/2 tray can ride.

Dave... can I have one? I'd love to come see how you do some elements in that box. Clay, my shop is open all the time (on weekends) you know the directions :-D

Oh oh oh... I think you made out better than anything you would have bought there. Dave is good!

Thanks, Clay :-D

Steve W

New User
Steve
I just saw an example of lacewood and thought that its pattern and grain were quite beautiful!

I have a supply of 2 - 3 ft lengths of 6 - 8" w quartersawn white oak that I brought down with me from New England and am trying to find some use for such short lengths. Boxes? Little shelves a la spice racks (after resawing them)? What have you all for suggestions?

Cheers,

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve, mitered boxes are a good use for short lengths like that. Also you could consider laminating them and doing some bandsaw boxes. In addition, lengths like that are great for end table and smaller items like spice racks, mirrors, frames etc.
Or they could be completely useless and I would be happy to dispose of them properly for you :-D

J

jeff...

Ofcourse Dave can whip out those boxes. He don't let no grass grow under his feet that's forsure. Great work Todd and Dave :icon_thum

Steve W

New User
Steve
Jeff, I love that cat pic. Is that one of yours?

We are recovering cataholics with two (one Maine Coon and one Halloween Black - down from six).

cskipper

Cathy
That's a lovely box. Todd aren't you glad you asked? And Dave, ya' did good helping out and teaching Todd. Don't you just love this group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS