We can't hash out a plan and then change on a fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I sent this to all of you via PM but it is better to discuss here.... Yes we are all up tight about this. It is not fun or easy even if you do not like Jeff as a person. But we spent two hours hashing out a plan including what we would do and by whom only to change it mid stream and without involving all parties. This is not the way for a BoD to work. Yes things happen and some times we need to act quick but in those events the entire BoD should be alerted immediately.

" Due to excessive policy violations Jeff Mills was Suspended for a period of two weeks effective at 9:00 Pm tonight. He was called by Doug Robinson and informed of this action. He was informed that after his suspension is lifted on 3/1/2010 he will be subject to permanent banishment if he violates policy in any way. This IS NOT public knowledge and should not be made so. This was decided by the BOD lat night in an emergency conference call. We all hope Jeff will come back and be a well behaved member after this. But if he does not, that is his choice at this point."

I was 30 seconds from posting this like WE ALL agreed last night. I even reconfirmed before we hung up. WE ALL would look stupid with two posts on this topic. Also did I fall asleep on the call last night? I thought when we hung up we were only going to warn folks about closing the Off Topic forum. Now I understand it is being closed for two weeks period.

Sorry for my rant but when we make a plan we need to stick with it or get everyone back on the phone to discuss the changes. Things change and stuff happens but we need to all be on the same page of this will never work.

M

McRabbet

My recollection was that Tracy was to put the suspension into effect when he heard from Doug and to post an announcement to the Admin/Moderator forum of the actual suspension. See Doug's thread.

What I left out: The announcement about the potential closure of the Off Topic Forum was supposed to be reviewed by the BoD before being posted in the Admin/Moderator forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Rob I have the same understanding except for one detail. It was my understnading that we were going to close the off-topic forum (not potentially close, but actually close it) for two weeks.

Tracy has already said that he posted it to the mods and admins by mistake and meant to post it to the BoD.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well then I was on another call with different folks. Cause I specifically asked who was doing what and Doug you read back that you would call Jeff and then send a PM to Tracy to pull the plug and to me to post the notice to the Mods. Anyway it is done.

I know it was late and everyone was stressed. This whole thing has everyone in knots. I just think we as a BoD need to do better documenting our plans and sticking to them especially in situations such as this.

M

McRabbet

We have another minor glitch that we didn't plan on -- we didn't want to publicize Jeff's suspension, but in my catching up on posts from yesterday, his posts now show him as a Suspended User in his signature area. See this example from B4man's hilarious Old Spice thread. "The best laid plans..."

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
My understanding was Off-Topic was to remain open..... We never agreed to close it for 2 weeks. The only two week closure/suspension was Jeff Mills.

There was a vote taken on suspending Jeff Mills. There was no vote taken on closing off topic.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
We have another minor glitch that we didn't plan on -- we didn't want to publicize Jeff's suspension, but in my catching up on posts from yesterday, his posts now show him as a Suspended User in his signature area. See this example from B4man's hilarious Old Spice thread. "The best laid plans..."

Boy that button was hard to find but I fixed his user title. It now says nothing.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Let's take stock:

1. Jeff has been suspended for two weeks starting last night. Tracy has fixed the glitch Rob noticed. The admins and mods have been told of the suspension.

2. Tracy told the mods and admins that the off-topic forum was going to be closed. Tracy and I seem to be incorrect in our understanding as the rest of the BoD concurs that that was not agreed upon last night. Some of the admins and mods do not believe this is the right course of action. Sturat has asked how do we get the gg off our faces.

I propose that we tell the admins and mods that having considered their input and with further discussion among the BoD members, we have decided to keep the off-topic forum open for now.

We need to be aware of the fact that because of our access to the mod forums and our forum we see the bad stuff repeatedly. The majority of our members are ablivious toi these issues. Consequently, they have no context for the our policy posts and reminder posts. That seems to add to the PC back-lash we get. In view of previous public service posts (mine, cathy's and glenn's) I think we should not post a warnign about potentially closing the off-topic forum at this time.

Scott and/or Tracy needs to post to the mods the information regarding the BoD staying out of moderating (A per our discussion last night) and that they are the ultimate arbitors of moderation unless they feel an iswsue should be brought to the BoD. Other than Scott and Tracy, members of the BoD do not intend to moderate threads.

Finally, Rob raised the idea of creating som form of formalized punishment for repeat offenders. We should look into this. (e.g. 3 policy violation = 1 week suspension, each additional violation adds another suspension af an additional week or banishment, etc.)

Doug

TracyP

Tracy
Let's take stock:

1. Jeff has been suspended for two weeks starting last night. Tracy has fixed the glitch Rob noticed. The admins and mods have been told of the suspension.

2. Tracy told the mods and admins that the off-topic forum was going to be closed. Tracy and I seem to be incorrect in our understanding as the rest of the BoD concurs that that was not agreed upon last night. Some of the admins and mods do not believe this is the right course of action. Sturat has asked how do we get the gg off our faces.

I propose that we tell the admins and mods that having considered their input and with further discussion among the BoD members, we have decided to keep the off-topic forum open for now.

We need to be aware of the fact that because of our access to the mod forums and our forum we see the bad stuff repeatedly. The majority of our members are ablivious toi these issues. Consequently, they have no context for the our policy posts and reminder posts. That seems to add to the PC back-lash we get. In view of previous public service posts (mine, cathy's and glenn's) I think we should not post a warnign about potentially closing the off-topic forum at this time.

Scott and/or Tracy needs to post to the mods the information regarding the BoD staying out of moderating (A per our discussion last night) and that they are the ultimate arbitors of moderation unless they feel an iswsue should be brought to the BoD. Other than Scott and Tracy, members of the BoD do not intend to moderate threads.

Finally, Rob raised the idea of creating som form of formalized punishment for repeat offenders. We should look into this. (e.g. 3 policy violation = 1 week suspension, each additional violation adds another suspension af an additional week or banishment, etc.)

Doug

Works for me. Guys I apologize for posting to the wrong forum. I had a lot on my plate last night. Not only site related stuff. ScottM please call me on my cell asap.

TracyP

Tracy
ScottM and I have spoke and we are working together on a draft on both items.

M

McRabbet

I would add to whatever post is made concerning the Off Topic forum that it serves an important and positive purpose -- it is the place for a member to let us know about his/her recovery from an injury or pending surgery or a job loss or a move or the Superball halftime show, all of which are appropriate. Tracy's initial draft didn't point out that the vast majority of posts in that forum are okay and that only a few topics and threads go south -- that's where the mention of off-color jokes or content, offensive info (like dead animal photos), religion, politics or bashing foreign made stuff cannot be tolerated.

Last edited by a moderator:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
On the documention side, I have not been taking notes of our calls, just the official BOD meetings. I'll start taking notes of all future calls so that we have a record to reference.

Am OK with Doug's suggestions.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS